Extremely fast clock with Windows host, Linux guest VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-Win

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
elconde

Extremely fast clock with Windows host, Linux guest VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-Win

Post by elconde »

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Virtualbox 5.1.26. I brought up my Arch Linux guest and found that the clock was going very fast. I'm talking about 300 times fast!

I run date then ten seconds later I run it again. It says that three minutes have elapsed!

I tried creating a new guest and booting from ISO: archlinux-2017.06.01-x86_64. The same thing happens.

I have now downgraded to 5.1.24. I no longer have this issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Extremely fast clock with Windows host, Linux guest VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-Win

Post by socratis »

1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not saved or paused. Completely shut down.
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
elconde

Re: Extremely fast clock with Windows host, Linux guest VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-Win

Post by elconde »

I just upgraded back to 5.1.26 r117224 and no longer experience this issue.

Since I last posted I upgraded the Linux kernel from 4.12.3 to 4.12.6 and reinstalled the guest additions. Maybe that did it.