Virtualbox Won't Run At All

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NonfatJoker288

Virtualbox Won't Run At All

Post by NonfatJoker288 »

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate. Document is empty. Location: 'C:\Users\spy21\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.

F:\tinderbox\win-5.1\src\VBox\Main\src-server\VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[550] (long __cdecl VirtualBox::init(void)).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
Callee: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
Thanks In Advance!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox Won't Run At All

Post by scottgus1 »

First, try uninstalling Virtualbox, rebooting your host PC, then reinstalling Virtualbox:
On a Windows host, to install Virtualbox properly you must right-click the Virtualbox installer program and choose "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu, even if your account is an administrator account. (Note that "right-click-Run-As-Administrator" is not "log-off-log-back-on-as-Administrator-double-click", and it is not "I'm-already-an-Administrator-so-I-don't-have-to". Running the installer with a usual double-click even under an Admin account will still not give you the necessary permissions.)

If that doesn't work, post back. We'll try something else.
NonfatJoker288

Post by NonfatJoker288 »

Will do. Ill post updates as i get it to work.
NonfatJoker288

Post by NonfatJoker288 »

Followed Your Instructions. Still isn't working.

What else could we try?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Go to "'C:\Users\spy21" Inside you will find a folder called ".Virtualbox" Move this folder to the desktop. Then try opening Virtualbox again.

Note that this folder contains the settings for the main Virtualbox window in File menu, Preferences, as well as the list of your guests. Moving the folder makes Virtualbox regenerate the folder and reset the Preferences, as well as clear the guest list. Your guests are still on your PC. You will have to hunt down each guest and doubleclick its .vbox file to register the guest again. The .vbox extension may not show in the guest folders - if so, set your host OS to show all extensions, google for how. You will also have to reset the Preferences, if you have set anything different than default.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

NonfatJoker288 wrote:
Location: 'C:\Users\spy21\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
Your VirtualBox.xml file is corrupt/empty. Delete it and it will be recreated. You will lose the list of your VM and your VirtualBox Manager settings. The VMs can be re-added manually via the "Add..." menu.

Of course the best solution is to restore the most recent backup of that file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NonfatJoker288

Post by NonfatJoker288 »

Thanks for the help guys.
Now I can run my mac vm.

All I had to do was move the folder to my desktop.
Do you have any ideas what made the problems occur with the folder in the first place?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

NonfatJoker288 wrote:Now I can run my mac vm.
Seriously? See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest. I don't want to see another post with issues on an unsupported guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
isalu18

Post by isalu18 »

socratis wrote:
NonfatJoker288 wrote:Location: 'C:\Users\spy21\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
Your VirtualBox.xml file is corrupt/empty. Delete it and it will be recreated. You will lose the list of your VM and your VirtualBox Manager settings. The VMs can be re-added manually via the "Add..." menu.

Of course the best solution is to restore the most recent backup of that file.
Dude you just saved my life, thank you very much for your help!
6pac

Post by 6pac »

This is mentioned on another thread, but when modifying config the file, VirtualBox saves the last one as VirtualBox-prev.xml. So all I had to do was delete the original and replace it with the -prev file by renaming, rather than recover from backup.
ojasvi

Post by ojasvi »

Document is empty. Location: 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\VirtualBox VMs\VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1. F:\tinderbox\win-6.0\src\VBox\Main\src-server\VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[624] (long __cdecl VirtualBox::init(void)). Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005) Component: VirtualBoxWrap Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d} Callee: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
I am also getting the above error...And I have tried both the solutions given in this forum-post.
Can someone suggest me any other alternatives.

If I reinstall the VM, I am afraid that it may lead to loss of my data on VM.
Kindly help.

ojasvi
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ojasvi wrote:Can someone suggest me any other alternatives.
There are no other alternatives. If you can't fix the file, by restoring the "VirtualBox.xml-prev", then delete "VirtualBox.xml" and it will be recreated.
ojasvi wrote:If I reinstall the VM, I am afraid that it may lead to loss of my data on VM.
You do NOT have to reinstall any VM, nobody talked about reinstalling your VM. Please re-read the thread from the beginning...