The instruction at 0x... referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be read

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
christ2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win XP Ubuntu

The instruction at 0x... referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be read

Post by christ2 »

Great product, reliable for many years, unfortunately I have today been getting the following error:
VirtualBox.exe - Application Error => The instruction at 0xb45f6733 referenced memory at 0x00000018.The memory could not be read.
Upon confirming the error(OK button) displayed on the Host the guest VM goes to being "Aborted". Note it seems to occur randomly doesn't seem to be easy to force the error. I did upgrade to the latest version VBox VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-Win.exe in an attempt to resolve the issue, but alas the problem persisted. If you require additional info please let me know. Any help really appreciated.

Host = Win8.1
Guest=WinXP SP3(32Bit)
Attachments
VBoxlog.zip
Error Log generated
(39.19 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: The instruction at 0x... referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be read

Post by mpack »

Does it start if you disable audio in the VM settings?
JohnB54

Re: The instruction at 0x... referenced memory at 0x... The memory could not be read

Post by JohnB54 »

I had this same issue on two (vastly different hardware) Windows 7 host computers that I updated from V5.1.24 to V5.1.26. Both systems gave me an illegal read reference to location 0x18 while starting Windows XP SP3 guest systems.

I was able to resolve the issue by rolling back Virtual Box host to V5.1.24. I was unable to start any guest environments properly under V5.1.26.

I haven't gotten back to troubleshoot the problem yet, but it was an extremely reliable failure that survived 7 or 8 boot attempts.
skitten

Post by skitten »

Been hitting this too but it's intermittent (Fedora 26 guest). Sometimes after a reboot it just starts working again.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Probably the same as viewtopic.php?p=398892 (see solution offered in that thread).
christ2
Guest OSses: Win XP Ubuntu

Post by christ2 »

mpack wrote:Does it start if you disable audio in the VM settings?
Thanks for your reply, the VM can boot and works fine for a seemingly random period of time and then the error occurs the last crash, 5 minutes ago, log extract:
45:58:24.178835 Changing the VM state from 'RESUMING' to 'RUNNING'
45:58:24.178869 Console: Machine state changed to 'Running'
45:58:29.179418 PCNet#3: The link is back up again after the restore.
, 45hours(I believe) without throwing the error. I have now disabled the audio in Machine Settings. I will test the VM stability and return to you.
Castle

Post by Castle »

I also had this same issue when I updated from V5.1.24 to V5.1.26. While starting Windows XP SP3 guest systems that had been working for years.
I disabled the audio and now it does not crash.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Or you can try the test builds, they contain the fix: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.