Lubuntu will not 'stay installed'....what am I doing wrong?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
three_jeeps
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10

Lubuntu will not 'stay installed'....what am I doing wrong?

Post by three_jeeps »

The problem is that after installing Lubuntu, and then powering down the VM, upon restart Lubuntu asks (again) if I want to run the live CD or install, instead of running from the previous installed version.
The details:
I recently downloaded Lubuntu (v 17.04), 64 bit .iso file format. I created a VM environment the usual way in VBox..(New….). In the new VM, under Settings -> Storage ->Controller: IDE, I point Optical Drive to the Lubuntu .iso file.

It finds it and Lubuntu offers a few startup options, and I choose Install Lubuntu. It installs OK. A disk image for the VM is created. The tools and apps in the OS all seem to function normally.
I then power off the Lubuntu VM and then restart it…and it shows the same startup screen, asking me again to run the live CD or install.
How can I install the OS and have VBox execute the installed version instead of always giving me the LiveCD or install options? Is this a Vbox issue/setting or a distro issue?

I’ve tried pointing to the .iso with and without the “Live CD” checkbox checked, but the same startup scenario persists. Any help is appreciated.
J
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Lubuntu will not 'stay installed'....what am I doing wrong?

Post by scottgus1 »

Remove the ISO after the install has completed. The behavior you are seeing is typical Linux Live-CD behavior.
three_jeeps

Post by three_jeeps »

thank you!
I assume when you say to "remove the ISO", you mean to delete the link to the .iso image in the IDE CD drive?
J
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Roughly speaking, yes.

From the guest, when it asks to reboot, you can go to the guest Virtualbox window's Devices Menu > Optical Drives > Remove Disk...

or...

If the guest is already turned off, then in the main Virtualbox window, guest Settings, Storage, click the CD drive, click the little CD icon with the dropdown arrow on the far right, Remove Disk...
three_jeeps

Post by three_jeeps »

Got it...ty! and it really worked!... ;)
J