Problem with getting VirtualBox to instal Kali Linix 64 bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JayDee

Problem with getting VirtualBox to instal Kali Linix 64 bit

Post by JayDee »

First, I am a total nube to this so please forgive me if I ask questions with obvious answers but it is not that obvious to me.

I'm installing VirtualBox on a Windows 10 home with the latest update Version 1703 intel i5 64 bit OS and X64 based processor. I followed the instructions from multiple videos on how to instal VirtualBox and how to create a VM running Kali Linux but I always run into the same problem.

The problem is I want to create a virtual machine for Kali Linux but when I set it up I only get options for 32 bit version of Linux, not 64 bit.

I tried installing Linux 32 bit, I tried Debian, Linux and other options in the drop down list in VirtualBox, but I always get the same messge: Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

I would like to know how do I get VirtualBox to give me the options to instal Linux 64 bit instead of 32 bit and should that fix the Kernel issue?.

Thanks for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with getting VirtualBox to instal Kali Linix 64 bit

Post by socratis »

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.