5.1.24 guest additions not recognized after install

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
greggwon
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 2

5.1.24 guest additions not recognized after install

Post by greggwon »

I am trying to turn on the Display/Remote Display function on a windows server 2012 VM so that I can start it on boot as a background service VM. After installing the guest additions (the icon now appears in the tray of the task bar), the "error" icon still pops up when I select the checkbox with the VM running or not running, and then it will not enable the feature. I've rebooted everything multiple times to no avail.

I am see 5.1.24r117012 in the "Help About" for Virtual Box, and when I hover over the system tray icon on the windows server instance.

What have I missed?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 5.1.24 guest additions not recognized after install

Post by socratis »

greggwon wrote:I am trying to turn on the Display/Remote Display function
greggwon wrote:After installing the guest additions
The Guest Additions (GAs) have absolutely nothing to do with the Remote Display functionality. You can have a DOS client controlled via RDP if you want, or any other VM for that matter. The RDP functionality is GAs independent.
greggwon wrote:the "error" icon still pops up when I select the checkbox with the VM running or not running, and then it will not enable the feature.
What error would that be? If you see a triangle with an exclamation point, hover over that icon and an explanatory message will appear. What does it say?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.