host-only network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
If it aint broke

host-only network

Post by If it aint broke »

I have virtual box loaded on windows 10. I have a windows 7, windows 8, and linux vm's loaded. I have them set-up with a host-only adapter. I set up dhcp via preferences for host-only.

when I fire all three up I get ip addresses within the range I set. I can ping linux from win7. I can not ping win8 from win7. I can not ping win7 from win8
I can even ping linux from host, but can't ping host from linux. I can not ping win8 from host and vice versa. I can ping Internet from linux with NAT or bridged adapter. problem seems to be isolated to host-only.

This is interfaces config:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

Does anyone have any ideas? Seems like virtual box assigning IPs correctly for host-only, but communication between the machines are sketchy. Is there a problem with virtual box? Sorry I made this so confusing.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: host-only network

Post by BillG »

That does not sound like a VirtualBox problem.If you can ping one way you have a connection. If you cannot ping in the other direction I would suspect a firewall problem. That is the usual cause of one-way ping.
Bill
If it aint broke

I can not get win8 box to ping either way.
How can it be a firewall problem if it is inside vm? What's the chances that it is os firewall on both linux and win 8?
If it aint broke

Looks like you were correct. I had to go into the firewall settings of the windows machines and create a custom incoming rule to allow the Ip addresses for the host-only network. Thank you. I never had to do this before so I ruled it out. Been at it for 3 days after work. You put me on the right track.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It is becoming pretty common for a personal firewall to have ICMP reply disabled by default, blocking ping replies.
Bill