Windows 2000 Guest, Static IP, SMTP and WEb page port

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kzcc4x

Windows 2000 Guest, Static IP, SMTP and WEb page port

Post by kzcc4x »

Hi

I have used VBox a few times, have basic understanding and have managed to get host only VM's running to allow interactive sessions working (Primarily for access to decommissioned servers and data).

I now have an issue where I need to p2v a Windows 2000 server running a document transform package, but this time I need it to run exactly on the LAN as it does today i.e. IP Address, Ports, Printing, web management etc.

Simplified (which is all I can do) the application presents ports to listen, we have an IBM iSeries that sends simple text documents to these defined ports. The application transforms these into documents and sends to defined IP printers or emails using corporate defined Exchange server. It must use a Static address as this is defined in iSeries RPG programs, but it shouldn't need changing I guess.

The Host is Windows 7 Pro, running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, in a corporate environment managed by outsourced provider. I am running VBox 5.1.22 r 115126. This is the only VM this is running.

I have created the VM (using Acronis), it loads fine in VB. But I am finding it impossible to connect to LAN and have it working exactly as it should. I have tried various adapter settings for NAT and Bridged. Using bridged I have had it visible on the LAN etc so working 90%, just the 10% I need are Web Management page and SMTP.

As it stands:
1) It receives the files OK, using the same IP Address as when physical
2) It sends print files to IP address printers

BUT
1) It will not connect to the SMTP server either by name or IP
2) It cannot connect to web management page locally or remotely, error relating to port 127.0.0.1:24501

I presume issue with #2 is that its trying to connect to the Host port, which doesn't exist.
For #1 I can only presume its again like a routing issue as traffic comes through Host adapter, I don't know.

Honestly I am not an expert on routing, always struggled, which I presume these issues are related to. I tried using NAT and setting some port forwarding but this just failed entirely, server couldn't see LAN if using the static IP I need to set.

I have searched and I find this a common topic, but either I'm too thick or..... I'm too thick to understand lol

Any help appreciated, even if you point me to a post where this is discussed.

Thanks, Daren
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 2000 Guest, Static IP, SMTP and WEb page port

Post by scottgus1 »

NAT won't get you where you want; use Bridged. Bridged puts the guest in the same LAN as the host, and sets the guest to act just like another PC on the network, static IP and all.

Bridged binds to the physical host network adapter you have chosen in the guest Network settings. You can in a sense imagine an unmanaged switch between the ethernet port on the wall and the back of your PC. You can connect other PCs to that unmanaged switch and they will also get on the network. Bridged does the same thing for your guests.

If you can open a folder window inside the guest and access shared folders on the host and on the LAN, and you can ping happily from the LAN to the guest and from the guest to the LAN, then Virtualbox's "hardware" is working and the rest has to be solved inside the guest OS's programs.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

And the 127.0.0.1:24501 should not be causing problems. 127.0.0.1 is a loopback address. It simply means "this machine". It should work whatever networking option you use.
Bill
kzcc4x

Post by kzcc4x »

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling the bridge was the way forward as indeed I could connect to the network, ping, and it was receding files via ports but I can't figure why the smtp job failed, it can ping the server etc so maybe I'll try again using dos commands to make a connection now I know this is the way forward. Regarding the web port, I found something somewhere that suggested when trying to connect to local loop back address it will go through the Vm virtual port and then be routed to effectively use the host pc which is why I went down the nat and port forwarding, and failed miserably.

I shall give this another go, be good to get this working while we arrange a replacement product.