Ubuntu Installation Issues: VDI storage not recognized

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
PeterT34

Ubuntu Installation Issues: VDI storage not recognized

Post by PeterT34 »

Hey All,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on VirtualBox 5.1.22; I created my virtual machine with 2 GB RAM and 32 GB VDI storage, but when I launch my virtual machine and click the Ubuntu install option, it says I have no disk space (when I allocated 32 GB). Does anyone know why the installer isn't recognizing the allocated space, and what I can do to solve this issue? Please see the attached pictures for further explanation. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
The error message I receive when I try to install Ubuntu on my VM
The error message I receive when I try to install Ubuntu on my VM
捕获.JPG (32.19 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
My VDI allocation
My VDI allocation
VirtualBoxStorage.PNG (58.44 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu Installation Issues: VDI storage not recognized

Post by socratis »

Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PeterT34

Post by PeterT34 »

Here is the log. Thanks for the help!
Attachments
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS-2017-07-20-09-05-46.zip
VBox.log
(23.34 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
PeterT34

Post by PeterT34 »

I think it might have been an issue with my iso file. I redownloaded the file and the new one works. Thank you for the offer to help though, I really appreciate it!
:D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I was just going through the logs as the "new message" came in about your thread. I really hoped that someone had a decent answer, because I've been pulling my hair for the last 15' trying to figure out what's wrong with your setup and I was coming up empty.

The ISO? Really? That's a very interesting one! Corrupt ISO does not see hard drives... I'll try to remember that one. Glad you got it going. I'll mark this as [Solved] and I wish I could mark it as [Bookmark]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PeterT34

Post by PeterT34 »

Hahah I'm just glad it's working. Thanks again for your time/effort!