CentOS7 cursor issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lyngwyst

CentOS7 cursor issues

Post by lyngwyst »

I am trying to install a CentOS 7 guest on a Windows 10 host. In the past, I have successfully installed a CentOS 7 guest on a Mac host, as well as a CentOS 6 guest on Windows 10. I know about the need to capture the cursor with Host-key/left-click. No problem.

This time, I can't even get the cursor to work inside the guest during installation. English and English (USA) are chosen as language and locale, and I cannot press Continue. Even if I wanted to install guest additions, I'm not even at that point.

Host-key/left-click gives me back control of the cursor in my host, as desired. But once I click on the guest, the cursor will not move along with my mouse.

Help would be much appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: CentOS7 cursor issues

Post by scottgus1 »

When I use the New button to make a new guest, and type in "CentOS" as the guest name, the Type and Version of the guest template wizard set to Linux and Red Hat. Then when the guest is made, the pointing device in System -> Motherboard shows PS/2 Mouse. Is that what your guest says?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Motherboard shows PS/2 Mouse
You're right Scott, it's unfortunately a PS/2 mouse. What in the seven kingdoms is that still doing there? What year are we in?

@lyngwyst
Try to change that to "USB Tablet".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Denmon

Post by Denmon »

I noticed this issue in VirtualBox 6.0.0, with CentOS 7 1708, 1804, and 1810. If I changed the Graphics Controller setting from the new default of VMSVGA back to the old VBoxVGA, I got a mouse cursor back. So maybe it's some interaction between VMSVGA and the PS/2 mouse input.

Changing the pointing device to USB Tablet as scottgus1 suggested makes the mouse pointer work again with the new VMSVGA graphics controller. Thanks Scott.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

When the problem was originally stated, there was no VMSVGA, nor VBoxSVGA, only VBoxVGA. That's the problem of piggy bagging on old threads, the conditions may have changed...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
shahbang

Post by shahbang »

Denmon- your suggestion changing VMSVGA to VBoxVGA worked for me. Thanks a lot.
MikeMarcsVacs

Post by MikeMarcsVacs »

Denmon - your suggestion to change VMSVGA to VBoxVGA worked for me. Thanks!
Kayla
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: AMD-V

Post by Kayla »

Very helpful info.