Hardened error unable to start VM's

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nellly5

Hardened error unable to start VM's

Post by nellly5 »

First i get this
VirtualBox - Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn
(rc=-5640)
Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
where supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 1
VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONE (-5640) - Process Verification Failure: The process has more than one thread.
then
The virtual machine 'Windows 10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
I have worked through the other hardening threads and done the usual tricks registering the drivers reinstalling rolling back to an older version etc nothing made a difference
I have zipped up the logs as they were too big to upload to the forum as well.

seeing these in the logs but not sure what they mean
Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll [lacks WinVerifyTrust]
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll [lacks WinVerifyTrust]
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll [lacks WinVerifyTrust]
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll [lacks WinVerifyTrust]
error opening 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintab32.dll': 0 (NtPath=\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintab32.dll; Input=C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintab32.dll; rcNtGetDll=0x0
any ideas?

one thing I have noticed is I can still see an old network card in the drop down list in the settings but it's not on the PC anymore and not listed in device manager hidden or not. other than that I am lost.
can anyone help?
Attachments
VBoxHardening.7z
(9.05 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Last edited by socratis on 26. Feb 2019, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hardened error unable to start VM's

Post by socratis »

nellly5 wrote:
(rc=-5640)
VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONE (-5640) - Process Verification Failure: The process has more than one thread.
Did you try reinstalling VirtualBox?

Also see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78401

And finally, attach a VBox.log.zip of the affected VM, if the above don't work...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nellly5

Post by nellly5 »

yes first things I tried, with multiple reboots inbetween as well

running the latest 5.1.22 and also tried 5.0.40 and that did the same thing.
Attachments
VBox.log
(125.78 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Interestingly enough, you did get a Vbox.log. The hardening system has changed a bit, but it used to not give much of a Vbox.log if guest startup stopped due to a hardening issue.

The log shows a guest that starts and seems to run for over 16 minutes then begins a shutdown due to the guest OS requesting a shutdown. Did this guest run OK, or did you get a hardening error this time too?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The "process has more than one thread" error implies, I think, that some other process was trying to access VirtualBox process memory. So, either malware or antivirus. The timing is odd: it would be interesting to know if the OP started up another app on the host. It would be something invasive: system monitor of some kind, developer debug environment, crash manager maybe.
nellly5

Post by nellly5 »

I have 2 VM's neither of them run,
I also can't spin up a new VM I get the same error even before I the VM starts and I can add a iso.

I have killed Sophos and it made no difference.
I have left the errors open some times not sure if that classes the VM as running.
I have also opened virtualbox from a straight reboot so nothing else running and it still fails.

Not sure what else to try?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Only thing I can suggest, short of assuming there's something else on your host OS that's really getting in the way (folks do run Virtualbox on Windows 10 just fine) is this:

To install Virtualbox properly you must right-click the Virtualbox installer program and choose "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu, even if your account is an administrator account. (Note that "right-click-Run-As-Administrator" is not "log-off-log-back-on-as-Administrator-double-click", and it is not "I'm-already-an-Administrator-so-I-don't-have-to". Running the installer with a usual double-click even under an Admin account will still not give you the necessary permissions.)

Try one more uninstall, reboot, then reinstall using the above "right-click-Run-As-Administrator" method.
nellly5

Post by nellly5 »

already tried it but I gave it another go, and still the same thing :(

anyone got any more guesses? otherwise, I will be moving on to something else and I ain't reinstalling my OS

is there such a thing as a clean uninstall and reinstall? so it removes everything?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nellly5 wrote:is there such a thing as a clean uninstall and reinstall? so it removes everything?
If you mean VirtualBox, scottgus1 gave you the answer already.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

There have ben reports of some Virtualbox keys in the registry left over, you could hunt them up. There's a folder in your user folder c:\users\{you}\.Virtualbox that remains after an uninstall, which preserves your registered guests and global Virtualbox settings.
christopher87

Post by christopher87 »

I have this identical issue, down to the same exact E_FAIL and IMachine codes. Didn't have any issues on my last workstation, but recently received a new one. Now with Windows 10, and a faster processor. Went from an old quad-core i5, to a much newer dual-core i7. Everything else is identical. Only change was the CPU and the OS.

THIS
(rc=-5640)

AND THIS
The virtual machine 'Windows 10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

Has anyone found a fix to this? I've found so many threads on the issue, but nothing with a clear solution. Please advise. Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

christopher87 wrote:Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
Wasn't that message clear enough? Did you read the thread? Please do. And then also read the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.
christopher87

Post by christopher87 »

Do you really believe I didn't attempt reinstalling or reading this thread, or the FAQs page? I've uninstalled/reinstalled many times. Virtualization is on in the BIOS. Hyper-V is off in the Services. Everything is up to date, and I've run 'check disk' via the command prompt several times finding no errors. I've also played with the Registry, and uninstalled/reinstalled fully a few times (meaning that I manually deleted everything post-uninstall, pre-reinstall).

I wouldn't have posted unless I was at my wit's end -- which I am.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Oct 2017, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, until you get around to posting the hardening log there is not a lot anyone can say.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Then take some pointers of what else might be wrong in the FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues. We might get a hint if you post a ZIPPED VBoxHardening.log