Hardened error unable to start VM's

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hardened error unable to start VM's

Post by socratis »

Baski wrote:System has symantec AV. I am receiving below error can anyone please help
If you don't want to help yourself by reading the previous replies, I don't know what more you want us to do. The answers are already there...

As were the instructions for properly posting a ZIPPED VBoxHardening.log. But you ignored them as well, and you copied/pasted the *whole* log, inline! I edited your post and left only the important parts, the next time I'm going to be forced to delete the whole verbatim copy/paste...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Baski

Post by Baski »

socratis wrote:
Baski wrote:System has symantec AV. I am receiving below error can anyone please help
If you don't want to help yourself by reading the previous replies, I don't know what more you want us to do. The answers are already there...
I have already checked all the digital signature for the reported files and they are signed . Hence i have posted the entire log earlier . I am not sure whether i am missing anything else here.

Removing Anti Virus is not an option as it is Corporate machine . I have updated the Anti-virus with latest version as well .

Do let me know if i need to check anything specific apart from that.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Baski wrote:I have already checked all the digital signature for the reported files and they are signed
The problem isn't that they're not signed. The problem is that their signature doesn't match what the Windows Certificate Database thinks they should be, there is a discrepancy between these two...
Baski wrote:Removing Anti Virus is not an option as it is Corporate machine
Then ask the IT people to add an exception for all things VirtualBox related. No other way around it.
Baski wrote:I have updated the Anti-virus with latest version as well
Do a complete uninstall/reboot/re-install. Maybe that will force the installed antivirus to properly update the Windows Certificate Database.
Baski wrote:Do let me know if i need to check anything specific apart from that.
No, we've covered everything. Again the FAQ covers all of the above answers, it's not a very nice thing for me to keep repeating the FAQ, is it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NateK

Post by NateK »

I had this issue. It was caused by DLP (look for EDPA or WDP service) being on the machine. Disabling the DLP agent resolved the issue short term you will likely need the IT security Admin to assist with disabling the service.

Long term I believe this can be resolved by whitelisting VirtualBoxVM.exe within the DLP app.