Network adapter missing on host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rb51

Network adapter missing on host

Post by rb51 »

hi all,

Running Vbox 5.1.22 on a Windows 10 build 15063.413

It seems that VBox creates a NAT network but the adapter is not shown on the host machine. The guest VMs (CentOS 7 and Windows 10) get a 10.0.2.X/24 IP address...

I can go to preferences and create another NAT network, but the adapter is not created on the host. Device manager does not have any hidden network adapters listed either.

Am I missing something? (I have tried to uninstall and re-install VBox....Tried v5.1.20, but same issue)

Comments are appreciated

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe list natnets
NetworkName: NatNetwork
IP: 10.0.2.1
Network: 10.0.2.0/24
IPv6 Enabled: No
IPv6 Prefix: fd17:625c:f037:2::/64
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Enabled: Yes
loopback mappings (ipv4)
127.0.0.1=2
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Network adapter missing on host

Post by BillG »

What sort of adapter were you expecting to see? What did you plan to do with it? Did you expect to see an adapter like the host only adapter for host only networking?

Neither the built-in NAT service (which is the default setting) or the natnetwork (which is not active by default and is quite different in its operation) create an interface which you can see from the host OS.
Bill
rb51

Post by rb51 »

Hi Bill,

I am pretty sure that oob VBox would create more than one interface on host machine. It might be that I am confusing with VMware Workstation, it has been a while.

What I've done in the end was to add an extra interface on guest (host-only adapter) and setup a static address (as I did not enable dhcp on that adapter). I can now hit the guest from my host

thanks
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

rb51 wrote:I am pretty sure that oob VBox would create more than one interface on host machine. It might be that I am confusing with VMware Workstation, it has been a while.
Vbox will create an interface on the host for each host-only network. It will not create an interface for any NAT network.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

rb51, your best bet will be to read the manual, section 6, which describes the networking modes Virtualbox presents.
Alex Matei

Post by Alex Matei »

Hi,

I have the same problem on one computer with Windows 10 Home Edition, 64bit , version 1709 build 16299.19 Fall Creators Update,
I upgraded this weekend.

I am sure that using an older version of Windows, version 1511 build 10586, the VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter was created out of the box
when VirtualBox was installed.

Now after installation, I have no VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter and also can't install it manually either.

Please see this topic too here on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83504&p=405135
Attachments
HostOnlyNetwork.jpg
HostOnlyNetwork.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 24847 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You should reinstall VirtualBox after major Windows 10 updates, as the latter futzes with the driver stacks of the host OS.
davidhay
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 10 - Debian

Post by davidhay »

Same problem here after I updated my Win 10 to 1709. I reinstalled VirtualBox and the "invalid data" has disappeared but I can't PuTTY onto the VM, it reports host not found.

Any ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@davidhay
If you see the network adapter, then your post does NOT belong in this thread. Please open a new one, do not hijack other threads, especially if they're unrelated. And do provide more logs and information. And please explain what the "invalid data has disappeared" means. But not here, in a new thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davidhay
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 10 - Debian

Post by davidhay »

Fair comment I suppose but it does lead on, new thread created.

After I upgraded to Win 10 1709 and before re-installing VirualBox the Network settings config for the Debian VM showed "invalid data".