Virtual Box AMD-V Error VERR_SVM_DISABLED with SAS University Edition

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OtagoHarbour

Virtual Box AMD-V Error VERR_SVM_DISABLED with SAS University Edition

Post by OtagoHarbour »

I have installed VirtualBox 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2) on Windows 7 (64 bit). I then try to run SAS University Edition from VirtualBox. I get the error message
AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED)
I went into BIOS and enabled AMD-V so it appears that AMD-V is disabled in Windows 7, I did a search on how to enable AMD-V on Windows 7 but all I could find was how to enable it in BIOS which I have already done.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box AMD-V Error VERR_SVM_DISABLED with SAS University Edition

Post by socratis »

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Please nobody suggest Hyper-V. This is a Windows 7 host.
Bill
OtagoHarbour

Post by OtagoHarbour »

@socratis

Thank you for your reply. I have nothing running that was not running before I enabled AMD-V on BIOS. The link says
When creating a VM, make sure you choose the 64-bit version of the guest OS template in <VM Settings> | General | Basic | Version, e.g. choose "Ubuntu (64 bit)" and not "Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu (32bit)".
However, I have noticed that I do not get the 64-bit option for any OS. Only the 32-bit options.

Thanks,
OH
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You haven't reached that point yet. If you did a cold boot after you enabled virtualization in the BIOS (shut down for more than 15 sec) and since Win7 doesn't have Hyper-V, then something is "stealing" your virtualization capabilities. Take a look at the link again for some possible suggestions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Your statement "appears that AMD-V is disabled in Windows 7" does not make any sense. It has nothing to do with the OS.

AMD-V is a CPU hardware feature and is enabled or disabled in the BIOS (if your CPU has that feature). If it is enabled there but VirtualBox still can't see it, some other process must be using it already. When you find what that is and stop it so that VirtualBox can use AMD-V you will be offered the 64-bit OS options by VirtualBox. If you are not seeing the 64-bit options, AMD-V is still not available.
Bill
OtagoHarbour

Post by OtagoHarbour »

socratis wrote:You haven't reached that point yet. If you did a cold boot after you enabled virtualization in the BIOS (shut down for more than 15 sec) and since Win7 doesn't have Hyper-V, then something is "stealing" your virtualization capabilities. Take a look at the link again for some possible suggestions.
That was the problem. I only rebooted when I enabled AMD-V in BIOS. A cold boot fixed the problem, both for 64-bit and for the error message I was getting.

Thanks very much!
OH
OtagoHarbour

Post by OtagoHarbour »

BillG wrote:Your statement "appears that AMD-V is disabled in Windows 7" does not make any sense. It has nothing to do with the OS.

AMD-V is a CPU hardware feature and is enabled or disabled in the BIOS (if your CPU has that feature). If it is enabled there but VirtualBox still can't see it, some other process must be using it already. When you find what that is and stop it so that VirtualBox can use AMD-V you will be offered the 64-bit OS options by VirtualBox. If you are not seeing the 64-bit options, AMD-V is still not available.
That's handy to know. The error message seemed to imply that it could be the OS. Turned out, I needed to do a cold shutdown.

Thanks,
OH
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Thanks for reporting back!
What kind of system and which AMD CPU is this?
I've known of Intel CPUs needing a cold boot to activate hardware virtualization, but this is the first time with AMD (for me ;))