usb device status captured but not attached on win xp guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ginn13

usb device status captured but not attached on win xp guest

Post by ginn13 »

Hello to all. I have Win10 1703 15063.413 x64 host with VirtualBox 5.1.22r115126.
There is an issue with WinXP SP3 x86 guest with capturing only one usb device (It is LG Aria SOHO PBX which doesn't have any driver except winxp x86). Mice and keyboards are captured and attached correctly, but this device is captured but not attached and doesn't appear in windows xp device manager anyway.
Host shows it as unknown device in device manager.

Code: Select all

c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe list usbhost
Host USB Devices:

UUID:               acebd1bd-5f7f-4ea2-8c51-106a1f4f4350
VendorId:           0x0400 (0400)
ProductId:          0xc400 (C400)
Revision:           0.18 (0018)
Port:               0
USB version/speed:  1/Full
Manufacturer:       National Semiconductor Corp.
Current State:      Captured
I've read and tried all in these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82639#p390400
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39104#p176270
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78700
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11251

(sorry for this, I am not allowed to post urls)

This is not applicable due to there is no UpperFilter on USB in win10 registry. Also I have no WireShark and USBPcap installed. Moreover, device behaves same way on-the-fly or via pre-created usb filter. I even installed (successfully) Renesas USB 3.0 driver on winxp guest and enabled xHCI.
Everything lead to the same result. First, device becomes captured but not attached. And then stays "busy"
If I create usb filter the device becomes "captured" since guest started and attampt to attach it leads to

Code: Select all

USB device 'National Semiconductor Corp.' with UUID {acebd1bd-5f7f-4ea2-8c51-106a1f4f4350} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.
Everything above I tried on a separate host with the same another device.
Thanks in advance
Attachments
logs.zip
logs and vboxmanage output
(38.13 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jun 2017, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: usb device status captured but not attached on win xp guest

Post by socratis »

Apparently you've read USB basics and troubleshooting. Please read it again (all the posts) with emphasis on the guest support. WinXP does not support USB3 by default.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ginn13

Post by ginn13 »

I've read this thread in full before posting. WinXP does support USB 3.0 with Renesas usb driver (there is separate thread about it on this forum) and successfully attaches mouse, keyboard and flash drives.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Mouse and keyboard... I hope you don't mean the built-in ones. You don't / shouldn't / mustn't do that. You're going to have problems.

I don't see an attempt to plug the device in question in the logs that you provided. I see some other devices (13ee:0001 and 04d9:1702) with the 1st is being the mouse and the 2nd one being the keyboard!!! Not good.

In the meantime, the 0400:c400 device that you identify as the "National Semiconductor Corp." one, is listed as a "hub" in the USB filters section. Do you have a USB hub where you attach everything into? Are you 100% sure that the vendorID:productID are from the device you want and not from the hub?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ginn13

Post by ginn13 »

13ee:0001 is a real mouse and 04d9:1702 is real keyboard.
I've deleted all filters and tried to capture usb device on the fly
First I captured usb mouse and attached successfully. Then I tried to capture 0400:c400 (National Semiconductor Corp. [0012]). It falls to caprtured and not attached. If I press it again "device is busy" error occurs.

"hub" is just a name of filter for 0400:c400 device because I tried to filter system usb hub to which this device is attached, then I just changed ven/dev id to 0400:c400. I'm 100% sure it is correct dev/ven id from windows device manager of host

Screenshots with log in attachment.
Everything I've checked on another win10 host with only one 0400:c400 usb device attached. no result
Attachments
logs&screenshots.zip
(114.09 KiB) Downloaded 12 times