No 64-bit guest options on Dell Latitude 7480

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fyorl

No 64-bit guest options on Dell Latitude 7480

Post by fyorl »

Hi, I'm having an issue transfering my old VMs over to a new Windows 10 install on a Dell Latitude 7480. For some reason, the option to select a 64-bit guest OS does not appear in the VM creation drop-down. I've searched these forums and elsewhere for a solution but all the ones I've found suggest enabling VT-x, AMD-V and MVMM in the BIOS and disabling Hyper-V in Windows. I have done all these things: every Virtualization option is enabled in the BIOS, Hyper-V is disabled in Windows and I made sure to install VirtualBox only after doing all this, however it still seems to not offer the option of 64-bit guest OSes.

The version of VirtualBox I'm using is 5.1.22 r115126 on 64-bit Windows 10. I've attached the VBox.log that is output when I try to run my copied-over VM in case that provides any clues.
Attachments
VBox.log
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No 64-bit guest options on Dell Latitude 7480

Post by scottgus1 »

I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests Other programs besides Hyper-V can take VT-x from Virtualbox, although Hyper-V on Windows 10 is the first suspect.

Enabling VT-x and disabling Hyper V require a complete power down (preferably a minute-long unplug just to be sure), if I remember right...

Also, since you are trying a new host, to install Virtualbox properly you must right-click the Virtualbox installer program and choose "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu, even if your account is an administrator account. (Note that "right-click-Run-As-Administrator" is not "log-off-log-back-on-as-Administrator-double-click", and it is not "I'm-already-an-Administrator-so-I-don't-have-to". Running the installer with a usual double-click under an Admin account will still not give you the necessary permissions.)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

fyorl wrote:an issue transfering my old VMs . . . option to select a 64-bit guest OS does not appear
Although the 64-bit issue is an issue to solve, making a new guest is not the correct way to Move a VM
fyorl

Post by fyorl »

Hi, I really appreciate the quick response. I found the post you linked when I was searching for a solution earlier and I've made sure to do a proper shutdown but still no luck. I also made sure to use 'run as administrator' on the installer (even though it asks for privilege escalation without that) but it doesn't seem to have been the issue. The only thing I can think of now is that something is utilising the hypervisor already. As I mentioned, I disabled Hyper-V so I'm not sure what else it could be but I'll check to see if my system uses DeviceGuard or CredentialGuard or something.