Wireless USB Adapter not showing in Settings

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GrimRob

Wireless USB Adapter not showing in Settings

Post by GrimRob »

I have a TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter which I am using in Windows 10. It works fine in Windows and shows up in Device Manager. I would like to use it with Virtual Box using a bridged adapter for an Ubuntu VM. I set it up as a Bridged Adapter on the Settings tab and can choose TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter on the dropdown. I also want to be able to scan for wireless networks so I need to be able to see my USB Adapter inside Ubuntu. However, it does not appear on the USB tab in settings (for any of 1/2/3 controllers). I have installed the Extension Pack.

What do I have to do to get this USB Adapter to appear on the USB section of settings?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Wireless USB Adapter not showing in Settings

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox does not present a wireless network card to its guests. If you want to use the USB wireless adapter in your guest, know that it cannot be used both by the host and the guest at the same time. USB devices are not shareable.

See USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.