USB 3 Host Devices not visible to VirtualBox 5.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Todd Almighty

USB 3 Host Devices not visible to VirtualBox 5.0

Post by Todd Almighty »

Thumbdrives and hard drives plugged into USB 3 ports are visible in the host OS, and operate at the expected speed, but don't show up in the VirtualBox filter list (settings) or in the devices list (when a guest is actually run). I see in the filter list and devices list everything plugged into a USB 2 port just fine. Note that the distinction appears to be whether the port is USB 3 vs. 2, and not the device - a USB 2 thumb drive is visible in a USB 2 port, but not visible to VirtualBox in a USB 3 port.

I understand that VirtualBox 5.0 won't be updated any more, but I'm stuck on 5.0.x because of another issue, and can't upgrade to 5.1, so I'm mainly trying to figure out whether what I'm seeing is expected or unexpected behavior. I assumed that the "USB 3" support meant host-side USB 3 support as well, but perhaps I'm confused and it only refers to creating virtual USB 3 ports for the guest?

Note that I've not specified any guest OS because it doesn't matter - you can see the problem in the filter settings of the machine before ever running it, and all guests are affected.

VB 5.0.40
Windows 7 SP1 x64 (Fully Patched) 32GB
p8z77 MotherBoard (Asmedia USB3 drivers) i5 3570k (Ivy Bridge)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB 3 Host Devices not visible to VirtualBox 5.0

Post by socratis »

Todd Almighty wrote: I assumed that the "USB 3" support meant host-side USB 3 support as well
Todd Almighty wrote:Windows 7 SP1 x64 (Fully Patched)
The thing is that Windows 7 does NOT support USB3 natively. So, the questions are:
  • Is this a native, built-in USB3 port, or is this an add-on card?
  • What did you do to enable USB3 support in your host?
  • Which drivers did you install in your host?
  • Before or after installing VirtualBox?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Todd Almighty

Re: USB 3 Host Devices not visible to VirtualBox 5.0

Post by Todd Almighty »

socratis wrote: The thing is that Windows 7 does NOT support USB3 natively. So, the questions are:
  • Is this a native, built-in USB3 port, or is this an add-on card?
Yes, the motherboard has USB 3 ports on it. You can read the specs here.
[*]What did you do to enable USB3 support in your host?
I installed the drivers from the CD that came in the box with the motherboard.
[*]Which drivers did you install in your host?]
From the board specs, you can see that it has both 2 USB 3.1 ports supported by the Intel Z77 chipset, and two other USB 3.1 ports controlled by an Asmedia USB 3.0 controller. Both these must have been on the CD as they work fine within Windows 7.
[*]Before or after installing VirtualBox?[/list]
The machine was built in 2012, so everything was installed and has been stable for a long time. I just upgraded to VB 5.0 a few days ago.