[Solved] VM working no more

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cesares

[Solved] VM working no more

Post by cesares »

I have installed VirtualBox 5.1.22r115126 on a Windows 10 Pro (64bit) machine with the latest major upgrade installed and I'm unable to run previously created VM.
I got the error that you can see on the attached log file.
Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance

Cesare
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(12.71 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by socratis on 23. Jun 2017, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM working no more

Post by scottgus1 »

Never seen "gown load" errors before. Try uninstalling Virtualbox, then rebooting the host, then re-install Virtualbox by right-clicking the Virtualbox installer program and choose "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu, even if your account is an administrator account. (Note that "right-click-Run-As-Administrator" is not "log-off-log-back-on-as-Administrator-double-click", and it is not "I'm-already-an-Administrator-so-I-don't-have-to". Running the installer with a usual double-click under an Admin account will still not give you the necessary permissions.)

After that, look at this: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Why the hardening log? Is there evidence that this was a hardening problem?

At a guess, from the wording I'd say that this is a problem with a saved state, which can be fixed by discarding the saved state (right click VM in manager, "Discard saved state"). The error would have been more obvious in the correct log.
cesares

Post by cesares »

I have attached the log specified in the pop up containing the error message
Last edited by socratis on 23. Jun 2017, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
cesares

Post by cesares »

scottgus1 wrote:Never seen "gown load" errors before. Try uninstalling Virtualbox, then rebooting the host, then re-install Virtualbox by right-clicking the Virtualbox installer program and choose "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu, even if your account is an administrator account. (Note that "right-click-Run-As-Administrator" is not "log-off-log-back-on-as-Administrator-double-click", and it is not "I'm-already-an-Administrator-so-I-don't-have-to". Running the installer with a usual double-click under an Admin account will still not give you the necessary permissions.)
Thank you scottgus, reinstalling it as administrator solved the problem
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] VM working no more

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the feedback, marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.