Installing Win7 64-bit on a Win10 32-bit host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Installing Win7 64-bit on a Win10 32-bit host

Post by mpack »

JohnrC123 wrote: You have no idea :-) The origins are even pre-Windows. It's a programmable, relational database called Superbase first seen on the Atari ST then ported to the very first version Windows.
Seriously? You literally mean Windows 1.0? Or do you mean the first really successful version, Windows 3? Either way that would make it a Win16 app.

Have you checked whether it will run inside DOSBOX?

I certainly remember floppies. I also remember the Atari ST - in fact I'm looking at one right now (Atari 1040STF, SM124 monitor and a humungously capacious 20MB external hard drive that barely worked).

Perhaps your app started as a GEM app for the Atari ST, then got ported to GEM for DOS and ultimately Windows? I went through similar stages myself, but ultimately abandoned all of those apps.

I'd be willing to lay odds that your database app could be replaced by a big Excel spreadsheet now.
JohnrC123

Post by JohnrC123 »

mpack it's incredible that you've still got an ST there. Built in MIDI, more RAM than the Apple of the day at a fraction of the cost, steam powered... great machine.

You're the first person in a long time to tell me they knew what GEM was :) But i think Superbase missed that and, if memory serves, did pop up on Windows 1.0. Perfect port too. Every button, menu, snippet of 'code' worked perfectly without changes. No glitches at all through every Windows version since, until 64 bit.

It needs NTVDM.EXE to make it go.

I know nothing about a DOS box. Can you spare a guy a URL?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

https://www.dosbox.com/

As the name implies, it's basically a DOS compatible shell for Windows. A simulator, not a VM, so it allows you to run DOS apps almost directly on any host, including 64bit ones. There are websites explaining how to get Windows 3 going, but I expect you'd at least need Win3 install disks. And on second thoughts, maybe you prefer your app to be supported by a modern OS even if it isn't modern itself.

I used DOSBOX myself recently when I needed to use a DOS compiler. I obviously couldn't run this directly on my Win10-64bit host, and it was also cumbersome to run in a VirtualBox DOS VM (it ran ok, but getting compiled exes in and out for testing was painful).
JohnrC123

Post by JohnrC123 »

Thanks, mpack.