[Surface Pro 4] Cannot Run First Created VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AgtRob

[Surface Pro 4] Cannot Run First Created VM

Post by AgtRob »

Greetings,

Brand new Surface Pro 4 (core I7 with 16GB Ram) and Windows 10
Virtualization is enabled
Hyper-V is not enabled in Windows

I created my first new VM (only have the option to create 32-bit VMs) for use with Windows 7. Pointed the CD/DVD to a Win7 iso file
When I power on the VM I get the following error:

Failed to load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox /VMMR0.r0:
SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed
(VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Failed to load VMMR0.r0
(VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE)

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I have uninstalled the software repeatedly
I have cleaned out Users\<username>\VirtualBox VMs repeatedly
I have made sure to run the software in an elevated state
I am logged in to the SP4 as the same user (also a local admin)

So I'll take any suggestions that I can get :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Surface Pro 4] Cannot Run First Created VM

Post by socratis »

AgtRob wrote:only have the option to create 32-bit VMs
Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
AgtRob wrote:I have made sure to run the software in an elevated state
No don't, you might create more problems than you are trying to solve. VirtualBox is meant to run as a normal user, even a guest.

According to one (of the four available) thread, a reboot fixed it. I would also try to solve that VT-x problem (the first one), maybe it somehow has something to do with what you're seeing...

If not, do a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM". With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

When you reboot, keep in mind that Windows 10 does a "hybrid" reboot that integrates some of the hibernation systems, meaning that some things don't unload and fully shut down when you "restart" from the Start menu.

To do a complete reboot, open the Run... box and run this command:

shutdown -r -t 2

You can see the switches for "shutdown" by typing "shutdown /?' in a command window. The above commands orders a complete "r"eboot after 2 seconds.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:shutdown -r -t 2
Cool, didn't know that this trick bypasses the "cached" state, thanks Scott. I have mine to do a normal shutdown without the smarts that they decided to put in there. There have been many reports about problematic behavior with that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AgtRob

Post by AgtRob »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've tried rebooting as suggested (using command line flags specified above) but upon firing up VirtualBox and starting the VM I get the same error.

Also disabled my anti-virus protection (Symantec Enpoint) but that didn't do anything either.

I'm also going through the suggested link above regarding the 32-bit issue. Haven't found anything yet but I'll keep going through it.