Frequent BSODs after upgrading to Windows Creators Update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
chrisTB

Frequent BSODs after upgrading to Windows Creators Update

Post by chrisTB »

After installing the Windows 10 Creators Update I have consistently been getting BSODs while running Virtualbox (via Vagrant), hence my assumption that Virtualbox is to blame here. I don't know for sure, which is why I posted this on the forum first instead of creating a ticket.

The BSOD codes are most often DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED but I also got one BAD_POOL_CALLER. I have include the minidumps and Virtualbox log file here:

www DOT dropbox DOT com/sh/32fon1gdei50wj7/AABqbVbj6fKgIukCwtjOVCzca?dl=0

I have already tried uninstalling Virtualbox, and then reinstalling the latest version. But I still get the blue screen.

The BSOD doesn't occur on start up of the VM, only after using it for a while.

I'm running VirtualBox on a Dell XPS-13. Hyper-V seems to be deactivated, though I do have WSL installed
Attachments
062117-6765-01.zip
(99.67 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
062117-6718-01.zip
(94.49 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
062117-5968-01.zip
(84.06 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by chrisTB on 22. Jun 2017, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Frequent BSODs after upgrading to Windows Creators Update

Post by mpack »

chrisTB wrote: I have include the minidumps and Virtualbox log file here:

Why? Zip them and attach locally. I'm not going to click any offsite links.

Actually - I take that back. If you're using Vagrant then you aren't using a genuine VirtualBox release. Demonstrate that you get the same problem with genuine VirtualBox, or go to the Vagrant forums for support. Your choice.
chrisTB

Post by chrisTB »

mpack wrote:
chrisTB wrote: I have include the minidumps and Virtualbox log file here:

Why? Zip them and attach locally. I'm not going to click any offsite links.
Because the file size of a zip was to big to attach here, and I can only attach 3 files at once, and can't attach .dmp files. So this was easier. Anyway, I attached three minidumps to the top post, and two more in this post + Virtualbox log.
Actually - I take that back. If you're using Vagrant then you aren't using a genuine VirtualBox release. Demonstrate that you get the same problem with genuine VirtualBox, or go to the Vagrant forums for support. Your choice.
What do you mean not a genuine VirtualBox release? I still have to download Virtualbox to use Vagrant. Vagrant simply uses Virtualbox to run a VM on right?
Attachments
virtualbox-log.log
(72.72 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
062217-6828-01.zip
(131.97 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
062117-7062-01.zip
(160.79 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

chrisTB wrote:Vagrant simply uses Virtualbox to run a VM on right?
Negative. Vagrant does stuff.....
chrisTB

Post by chrisTB »

scottgus1 wrote:
chrisTB wrote:Vagrant simply uses Virtualbox to run a VM on right?
Negative. Vagrant does stuff.....
Hmm.. ok. But if I manually create a VM in Virtualbox without Vagrant then it would be OK?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Not necessarily. But to get help from here, if it is possible for us to give it, you'd need to uninstall Vagrant and demonstrate that official Virtualbox has the problem with running the guest. Or you can ask on the Vagrant forums.
chrisTB

Post by chrisTB »

After some troubleshooting with Microsoft Support, I managed to get a BSOD with Driver Verifier running. The minidump seems to point out VBoxHeadless.exe as the cause of the crash. So at least I have that.
Next step is to try and get it without Vagrant like you suggested, but I haven't had the time yet to test that.
Attachments
070317-7296-01.zip
(82.56 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

chrisTB wrote:The minidump seems to point out VBoxHeadless.exe as the cause of the crash.
Not really. It means that something in the VBoxHeadless.exe process space crashed, not that the VBoxHeadless.exe module itself caused it. And even if the crash happened inside the VBoxHeadless module, it still doesn't mean that VBoxHeadless.exe caused it - unless "caused" equates to "failed to prevent".

Generally speaking, applications can't cause BSODs. Only drivers do that. Apps don't have a high enough privilege to cause a BSOD. Apps instead have run time errors - which in the VirtualBox case would be caught by the exception handler (the guru meditation thing). Plus the error messages you quote clearly come from a device driver, not an exe.