Windows 10 Creators update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Will99

Windows 10 Creators update

Post by Will99 »

The other day some of my staff installed a windows update to Windows 10 Creators, and we are now getting the

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Tried checking that Hyper-V is disabled, We also looked at the Bios settings to see if Virtualization was on. Tried uninstalling VirtualBox and re-installing. Have newest client 5.1.22.

Backing out the window update fixed the issue but we can hold off installing the update only so long.

Any ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Creators update

Post by socratis »

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Take a look at the very last paragraph. And remember that a reboot in the Hyper-V case means a cold boot, not a warm one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 Creators update

Post by BillG »

There was a similar post in a TechNet forum recently. It was another case where Hyper-V had been enabled when the update installed.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... 0itprovirt

Are you sure that Hyper-V is not enabled? Do a bcdedit /enum and check that you do not have an entry hypervisorlaunchtype Auto entry.

I have not seen this on my Windows 10 hosts, which have all the latest updates installed. Are you running Enterprise edition?
Bill