[Solved] Installation of 5.x Prevents Host Machine Networking (#16833)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dfatvb
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows/DOS

[Solved] Installation of 5.x Prevents Host Machine Networking (#16833)

Post by dfatvb »

Bug tracker ticket #16833 Sent Me Here.

I've used Virtual box for years, once it moved to 5.x I have not been able to use it due to the summary subject. The physical machine is an i7 with Win7 x64 all the latest updates. Contains VirtualPC, VMWare Player and VirtualBox. The 4.3.40 works fine (and all the prior versions I upgraded from over the years). The last time I installed 5.1.22 (last week), it uninstalled 4.3.40, installed 5.1.22. Everything worked fine for a couple days (the computer was left running or sleep mode). On the reboot, the same thing happens, no networking on the host system, no connecting to domain controller, etc.. If you go to the control panel / network and sharing, it just has a circle hourglass going in circles and says "Identifying..." for the Connection: Local Area Connection and Access was "No Network Access". So I went to adapter settings, right clicked on the "VirtualBox Host-Only Network" and clicked disable. As soon as that was disabled, the local area network connected and everything was working again. This is repeatable, last attempt was back in 2016. Still a problem today.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Jun 2017, 17:48, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket to the title.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Installation of 5.x Prevents Host Machine Networking

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows 7 hosts don't like the default networking system that Virtualbox tries to install. (I assume there's some form of query made by the MSI installer for Virtualbox that either misinterprets what the host OS says about which version to install or the host OS doesn't answer the question right.

Uninstall, then reboot, then open a Run-As-Administrator command prompt, then use this command:

driveletter:\path\to\installer.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5

where "VirtualBox-x.x.x-yyyyy-Win.exe" Is the exact name of the installer. You can drag the installer icon into the command window to get this info automatically loaded, then type or paste the rest of the command.
dfatvb

Re: Installation of 5.x Prevents Host Machine Networking (#16833)

Post by dfatvb »

That fixed it, thanks.

Is that needed on updates as well?

Are they (maintainers) looking for the fix?

Any information needed I can provide?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You may need to do the same on future installs; I'm not certain. I also don't know if there is a fix in the future, but the developers quite probably know about the issue. You can check the Bugtracker if you like.
WhyIsTheSkyBlue

Post by WhyIsTheSkyBlue »

I really wish this worked for me. Been struggling with similar issue. After VB installation, HOST lan will continue to drop it's connection every minute or so then reestablish itself. It appears my host network driver is being temporarily disabled causing host network connection to be lost.

System info:
Windows 7
Network adapter: Intel Ehternet connection I217-LM

I'm willing to provide any info to help troubleshoot this, just let me know what is needed.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

WhyIsTheSkyBlue, you would need to start in a new thread, because contrary to popular opinion, folks' problems aren't always the same even though they look the same, and it's not polite to hijack someone else's thread.

Assuming your problem truly is the same, did you try the suggested solution?

Please make a new thread with this info provided, and report how the above suggestion worked.

PS Why is the sky blue? Because air is blue.
WhyIsTheSkyBlue

Post by WhyIsTheSkyBlue »

Fair enough... new post created.
dfatvb

Re: [Solved] Installation of 5.x Prevents Host Machine Networking (#16833)

Post by dfatvb »

This still appears to not be fixed?

Isn't this like a 5 - 10 min fix in the installer?