[WorksForMe] VirtualBox freezes after connecting USB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pipe

[WorksForMe] VirtualBox freezes after connecting USB

Post by Pipe »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to VB. I'm trying to learn pen testing with Kali Linux and I'm having some issues. Hope you can help me.

Basic Information:
Host: Windows 10 Anniversary update (10.0.14393) on a Desktop (custom)
Guest: Kali Linux Ver 2017.1 64 bit Vbox
Wireless Network Adapter: Alfa AWUS036NH Driver 5.1.25.0
VirtualBox 5.1.22r115126

Issue:
Everytime I connect my alfa AWUS036NH while I'm already in the VM, it freezes. I can move my mouse but I can't neither press any buttons in Kali, nor in VirtualBox. I cannot open any other VM while this is happening. I need to go to Task Manager, close Virtual box and restart my PC. If I don't restart it and open VB, it would say Starting in a message under the attempted VM.

The device is visible in Kali but I cannot connect it or the above will happen. I've tried everything that I've read in the forum. I ran the installation of VB as an administrator,I created a custom filter with product id and vendor ID, disconnected the device, started the VM, then plugged it and then selected the device, but the same happened.

If I connect the USB wireless adapter and then open the Linux VM, a loading window would appear getting stuck on 20% for "starting VM".

I've been working with this for quite some hours, but as I said first, I'm new to this.

I've added the command's output requested to help you guys try to help me. (ZIPped of course)

Please let me know what can I try. Virtualization, VM, Linux and Pen testing are interesting to me and would like to give them a try.
Attachments
Kali-Linux-2017.1-vbox-amd64-2017-06-19-04-28-15.zip
Command line output was recommended by socratis
(81.14 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox freezes after connecting USB

Post by socratis »

Pipe wrote:I created a custom filter with product id and vendor ID
  • Actually, you have more than these two values. Please make sure that the rest of them are deleted.
  • Can you also try with a different USB device? I'm trying to exclude the fact that it's the device's fault.
  • Can you also try with a LiveCD of another distribution (let's say Mint)? I'm trying to exclude the fact that it's Kali's fault.
  • Did you create the VM yourself from scratch or not?
    Kali-Linux-2017.1-vbox-amd64-disk002.vmdk
  • Do not use saved states. It's almost never a good idea...
  • You don't need all the logs, they add weight. Just the last one, the one that shows the problem.
  • You should take a look at Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues, as I see you have issues with hardening. I did not read thoroughly your VBoxHardening.log.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pipe

Re: VirtualBox freezes after connecting USB

Post by Pipe »

Hi Socratis,

Thanks for your response, I decided to do a clean Windows install before trying your recommendations as I didn't saw any issues like mine on my google and forum searches. It works fine now, and I it doesn't freeze now.

Thanks for your time.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [WorksForMe] VirtualBox freezes after connecting USB

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the feedback. I marked the thread as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.