Migration to Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
davet507

Migration to Windows 10

Post by davet507 »

I installed Window 10 on a new SSD after replacing a failed motherboard and adding the SSD. The old board was running Windows 7 Which wouldn't boot on the new motherboard. I have done a fresh install of VirtualBox on the SSD. The old install still exists on my hard drive. How do I copy the VMs and virtual drives from the old install? I tried copying the VirtualBox folder, but that wasn't enough.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Migration to Windows 10

Post by mpack »

davet507

Post by davet507 »

Ah, yes "intuitively obvious", except I had no idea there was a VM file, let alone where it was. Nor did I realize that vm files could be huge even though they referred to a real HD. I didn't want them on the SSD, so I changed the location to where the old ones were on my F: (C: under Win7) drive. No joy: they are not recognized. Also, I see I need to do something to my vdmk files so they don't get an error message, but I can't find a explanation I can figure out.
davet507

Post by davet507 »

Oh, I see, machine add. Except, they won''t add because the hard drives uuids don't match the new location. I know that, but, if I can't load the VM, I can't change the HD location.
Guess I have to bite the bullet and start from scratch, including recreating the vdmk files.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

UUIDs have nothing to do with location of the file. If you're getting a UUID conflict then simply read the message and identify the conflict: you are most likely trying to register an already registered VM (didn't you say that you copied the old VirtualBox folder? - translation: i.e. you copied a bunch of invalid paths).

Start again. Delete the contents of the .VirtualBox folder. Use the FAQ on how to move VMs. Don't include any step not mentioned in the FAQ, for example do not copy the old .VirtualBox folder contents.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

davet507 wrote:Ah, yes "intuitively obvious", except I had no idea there was a VM file
Sorry, are you blaming me for your laziness? It sure sounds like it. That information you can't be expected to know is spelled out very clearly in the user manual.