VirtualBox VM start causes Windows blue screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
thierryB

VirtualBox VM start causes Windows blue screen

Post by thierryB »

Windows 10.
VirtualBox 5.1.14

Running my Ubuntu VM used to work fine.
But for some reason (Windows update or ?), running my Ubuntu VM (16.04 64 bits) now causes a Windows blue screen.
"Your PC run into a problem :(".

I tried to upgrade my VirtualBox version to 5.1.22 -> didn't work
I tried to recover my System from 2 days ago -> didn't work
I tried to created another Ubuntu VM -> got the same blue screen after running it.

In other words, it seems I can't launch an existing or new VirtualBox VM without making my System crashes.

I'm not sure what happened recently that causes this problem. Probably a Windows update.
See the attachment for logs. It seems I'm missing some DDL ? Not sure.

Anybody got a hint ?
Attachments
VBox.zip
(21.82 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox VM start causes Windows blue screen

Post by scottgus1 »

Check to see that your Windows 10 host hasn't turned on Hyper-V. 10 does that some times and can cause BSODs when starting Virtualbox guests.
thierryB

Post by thierryB »

scottgus1 wrote:Check to see that your Windows 10 host hasn't turned on Hyper-V. 10 does that some times and can cause BSODs when starting Virtualbox guests.
Opened the "Windows Features" tab.
The Hyper-V is turned off.

So this is not the issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Hmm. Well, I would try to uninstall Virtualbox, then re-install again: right-click the Virtualbox installer program and choose "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu, even if your account is an administrator account. (Note that right-click-Run-As-Administrator is not log-off-log-back-on-as-Administrator-double-click, and it is not I'm-already-an-Administrator-so-I-don't-have-to. Running the installer with a usual double-click under an Admin account will still not give you the necessary permissions.)

Don't do a simple upgrade, do a complete uninstall, reboot, then reinstall.

There is a dll mentioned in the hardening log "secruntime.dll", which I can't place via Google. It doesn't appear to be a Windows DLL - I don't see it on my 10 host. You will need to look at the file's properties to see where it came from. It is possible that the guest may not stop on it, but both logs stopped writing abruptly, so I can't tell if the hardening log would have ended happily or not.
Kaledorn

Post by Kaledorn »

The same thing happens to me.I have deduced that it is because of the windows 1703 update. I tried uninstall, install, reinstall, change the BIOS, active/desactive the HIPER-V and nothing.

My Old VM in 64 bits always give me an BSOD.

In the Vmware forums I have found this.

To disable Device Guard or Credential Guard on Itanium based computers:

Disable the group policy setting that was used to enable Credential Guard.

On the host operating system, click Start > Run, type gpedit.msc, and click Ok. The Local group Policy Editor opens.
Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard > Turn on Virtualization Based Security.
Select Disabled.

Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows features on or off to turn off Hyper-V.
Select Do not restart.
Delete the related EFI variables by launching a command prompt on the host machine using an Administrator account and run these commands:

mountvol X: /s
copy %WINDIR%\System32\SecConfig.efi X:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi /Y
bcdedit /create {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} /d "DebugTool" /application osloader
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} path "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi"
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootsequence {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215}
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} loadoptions DISABLE-LSA-ISO,DISABLE-VBS
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} device partition=X:
mountvol X: /d

Note: Ensure X is an unused drive, else change to another drive.

Restart the host.
Accept the prompt on the boot screen to disable Device Guard or Credential Guard.

If you have a machine with Legacy BIOS boot:
Open the command prompt as Administrator on host.
Run this command:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Reboot the host.

And Now It works