Lost VM Overnight

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pelican418

Re: Lost VM Overnight

Post by pelican418 »

Can you tell me what program I need to use to edit the .box file?
pelican418

Post by pelican418 »

Ok, I did option 1 I think. I released and removed and then added back. Now I get the error FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You should know the drill by now. Post the complete output of the command (including the command itself):
  • VBoxManage showmediuminfo "C:\Users\Roger\VirtualBox VMs\AmazonResalesWin7X86\AmazonResalesWin7X86.vdi"
and a zipped "C:\Users\Roger\VirtualBox VMs\AmazonResalesWin7X86\AmazonResalesWin7X86.vbox".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pelican418

Post by pelican418 »

Here is what it returned and the zipped .box file.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage showmediuminfo "C:\Users\Roger\VirtualBox VMs\AmazonResalesWin7X86\AmazonResalesWin7X86.vdi"
UUID:           4e8c0d8f-ab22-45a2-884d-968ff6482be2
Parent UUID:    base
State:          created
Type:           normal (base)
Location:       C:\Users\Roger\VirtualBox VMs\AmazonResalesWin7X86\AmazonResalesWin7X86.vdi
Storage format: VDI
Format variant: fixed default
Capacity:       128000 MBytes
Size on disk:   128002 MBytes
Encryption:     disabled
Attachments
AmazonResalesWin7X86 (2).zip
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by socratis on 30. Jun 2017, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Now, you have two options:
  1. With the VM shutdown, go to the Media Manager, release "AmazonResalesWin7X86.vdi" from your VM, remove it (without deleting it), and then go to the VM settings and add the same VDI to the VM,
pelican418 wrote:Ok, I did option 1 I think. I released and removed and then added back.
Actually you didn't add back the hard drive. There is no hard drive in your VM to boot from. Add it and you should be all set. Hopefully...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pelican418

Post by pelican418 »

I'm confused and don't see an Add button in media manager. I did add it under machine and add. That is when I got the error. Is that what you wanted me to do or something else?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Socratis said nothing about adding anything using media manager. And Machine|Add... is not relevant for mounting media.

Drives are removed using using media manager because that removes them from all VMs simultaneously.

Drives are added to specific VMs, by using the Storage panel in that VMs settings.
pelican418

Post by pelican418 »

Mpack thanks, I didn't understand what he was telling me to do. Adding the drive to the vm worked and it is up. Thank you all for your help.