Three of my VMs have crashed in a one-month span

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Todd N

Three of my VMs have crashed in a one-month span

Post by Todd N »

Hello,

Three of my VMs have crashed in a one-month span and I have no idea why. It all started when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have tried troubleshooting by searching Google on this matter to no avail. I have also looked at the log files, but I have no idea what I'm looking at or what to look for.

If anyone can offer any insight, I would greatly appreciate it. I am new to VirtualBox, this forum, and VMs in general but as soon as I become more knowledgeable, I hope to be able to help out others here on this forum. :)

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Todd N on 11. Jun 2017, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Three of my VMs have crashed in a one-month span

Post by socratis »

Please read the message, the error message. Do what it says. It's pretty clear.

With one exception: do NOT post the VBox.png, we know what it looks like ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Todd N

Post by Todd N »

So I am not supposed to post screen shots from my VM? Sorry, I'm confused.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Jun 2017, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, you're not. Not now, not until asked to do so. But you ARE supposed to do what the rest of the error message says.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Todd N

Post by Todd N »

socratis wrote:No, you're not. Not now, not until asked to do so. But you ARE supposed to do what the rest of the error message says.
Okay. Sorry, in the future I will not post screen shots unless asked to do so.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Maybe I haven't explained myself quite clear.
  1. Read the message.
  2. Do what the message says.
  3. You don't have to post a screenshot now.
Todd N

Post by Todd N »

socratis wrote:Maybe I haven't explained myself quite clear.
  1. Read the message.
  2. Do what the message says.
  3. You don't have to post a screenshot now.
Hello,

I'm not sure why you're telling me this again. Did you want me to remove the screen shot from my original post? Regardless of whether this is what you wanted, I went ahead and removed it anyway. I'm also unsure of why you are telling me to read the error message and to do what it says again as I did not continue to create posts/replies to this thread asking what I should do concerning the error after my original post, or after your original reply. I only asked if I was not supposed to post screen shots because the part in your original reply about not posting "VBox.png" confused me. You cleared up my confusion by saying I was not supposed to post it, and I replied and said I would not do so in the future, unless asked. I'm sorry for all of the confusion.

Thank you.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Post again if you have trouble loading from a legitimate Windows DVD or ISO. It would be wise to not mention torrent on this site.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand!!!

When the error comes up, there is a message! READ that message and DO WHAT THE MESSAGE SAYS!
Todd N

Post by Todd N »

BillG wrote:Post again if you have trouble loading from a legitimate Windows DVD or ISO. It would be wise to not mention torrent on this site.
Sorry, I wasn't aware of this. I have edited my original post.
Last edited by Todd N on 11. Jun 2017, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Todd N

Post by Todd N »

socratis wrote:I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand!!!

When the error comes up, there is a message! READ that message and DO WHAT THE MESSAGE SAYS!
Nevermind. I haven't been asking for a solution to the error since my original post so my confusion is coming from why you keep telling me to read the message and do what it says. It's as if every time I reply to this thread, you treat it as if I'm asking about the error message and a possible solution when I'm just trying to learn and follow the forum rules. Anyway, it's all good. Thanks for your time and have a good day.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm going to keep telling you the same thing over and over and over again, until you might finally do read and understand two simple sentences.
- Read the message.
- Do what the message says.
Please re-attach the picture of the error message!!!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

(just to help out, here is the original image...)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you Martin!

Part one of my repeated replies was "Read the message". I'll quote the "message" and highlight the important parts:
For help, please see the Community section on http://www.virtualbox.org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the C:\Users\JEX\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP Pro SP3_\Logs directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
Now, the the second part of my repeated replies was "Do what the message says":

• >>>>> PROVIDE THE LOG
      >>>>> TELL US WHAT HAPPENED

Which part you did not understand? Honestly...
Todd N

Post by Todd N »

Surprisingly, I am having a hard time recreating this error. It used to happen within seconds of launching my VM. If/when I start encountering the error again, I will be happy to provide the log file, sans the screen shot. :wink: