v 5.1.22 Unable to start "Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM Object"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jlvila

v 5.1.22 Unable to start "Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM Object"

Post by jlvila »

All,

I would have uprade my VB (5.1.12) to 5.1.22 and now this is hell!!!
  • Problem 1 : during installation : "cannot rename the connection name, is already ...." I read all messages on this topic and try all (remove old connections from registry, show hide connections from device manager, install with another account, in safe mode) ==> The problem remains
  • Problem 2 : After answer "ok" to the message box, the installation ended, VB seems to be installed BUT when I start VB, i've this beautiful message : Failed to acquire virtualbox com object
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.
Completely failed to instantiate CLSID_VirtualBox: ERROR_NOT_READY 0x80070015.
Code d'erreur : ERROR_NOT_READY 0x80070015 (0x80070015)
Composant : VirtualBoxClientWrap
Interface : IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}

VB 5.1.22

Many thanks for any clue ....
Jean-Louis
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: v 5.1.22 Unable to start "Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM Object"

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jlvila

Re: v 5.1.22 Unable to start "Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM Object"

Post by jlvila »

Unfortunatly, I've the same result ....
Another way?
jlvila

[SOLVED] Re: v 5.1.22 Unable to start "Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM Object"

Post by jlvila »

I ended up to figure out a solution !!!

1st)
Clean all entries in the registry containing (vbox or virtualbox) words
2nd)
I use CCLeaner to remove some uncorrect registry entries

3st)
During the installation process, when the error popup raised with the message "cannot rename the connection name, is already ....", I open the networks connections, desactvate the VB host only network adapter, Change the name of the adapter name from to another name , "Ethernet 12" in my case, and reactivate the adapter

4st)
click ok on the dialog

==> The installation process ended succesfully AND I could start VBoxManager normally !