4k resolution scaling issues on linux guests (#17345)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Re: 4k resolution scaling issues on linux guests

Postby socratis » 27. May 2017, 01:43

Yes, I did, and that's exactly why I quoted straight from the manual so that we're on the same page. I do not see the vagueness. It looks crystal clear to me. What's the part that got you confused? Your mistake was adding the "x" in between the numerical parameters. There is no "x" in the command syntax.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby infinityronin » 27. May 2017, 02:37

I completely missing the "x" in the third command, thank you for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, this didn't work either.

This caused the virtualbox window displaying the guest to double in size, but the issue is the same, the guest host display is still half the resolution of the virtualbox window, with the mouse following the size of the virtualbox window, rather than the guest.
infinityronin

Postby Tibor » 30. Aug 2017, 18:02

virtualbox-5.1.26-dfsg-2

Hi guys,

I know I'm late to the party, but was there any followup on this? I am having exactly the same problem, only with the opposite OS situation (host is Ubuntu, guest is a Win 8.1).

The host is in full screen with a very low resolution until windows starts, then it scales to the top left corner, while the mouse still takes input from the complete screen (so input and rendering do not correspond anymore).

When I change the resolution in the guest it essentially only changes the size of the guest's screen, keeping the rendering at the old resolution (hence the guest screen then is larger than the host's "window" and hence parts of the guest's screen are hidden).

I noticed that deinstalling the guest additions leads to a situation where the guest's screen does not scale back to the top left corner, but everything remains in low resolution on the full screen.
I also noticed that trying to install the guest additions causes a lot of messages in the guest additions installation window mentioning a return code 2 (it then asks me to reboot the guest and windows tells me that guest additions are an installed program, so may be that's not really an issue).

When I boot an iso of an ubuntu as a novel VM it uses the full screen but at a horrific resolution (my display is 4k but I get something like 1900x1080), and again, when I change the resolution in the guest then only a part of the screen is rendered at the previous resolution.

It seems as if VirtualBox didn't understand the actual natural resolution of the screen I'm using when running without guest additions and as if the guest additions helped it understand the natural resolution, but failed to handle the screen accordingly...
Tibor

Postby infinityronin » 31. Aug 2017, 04:14

I don't know if this was ever resolved. I just switched to a Mac and Parallels. If I remember correctly though I did see a couple of solutions for windows guests both on this forum and via google. These threads might be helpful, but they are for previous versions of Virtualbox:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69620

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67869&p=332213&hilit=VBoxControl#p332213
infinityronin

Postby heheman3000 » 2. Dec 2017, 05:22

I just ran into this issue after updating from 5.1.22. Several versions I tried from 5.1.24 to 5.2.2 have the same problem, so I think some change in 5.1.24 broke it.

The guest displays over 1/2 x 1/2 (a quarter) of the top left of the total screen area, while the mouse responds over the whole area. If I want to click the system menu in the top right of the screen, for example, I have to click at the top right of the black space, and the menu responds as shown (see attached image).

vbox-resized.png
Display bug
vbox-resized.png (122.93 KiB) Viewed 88 times

This is definitely a HiDPI issue. As you can also see in the picture, the title bar is half the size it should be, the menu bar is twice the size it should be (like the scaling was applied twice), and the icons at the bottom are also twice as large. Scaling is at 200%, so I think the title bar is at 100% and the title bar is at 400%.

I confirm that disabling 3D acceleration fixes the issue, but it just makes everything a whole lot laggier to use.
heheman3000

Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Postby heheman3000 » 5. Dec 2017, 01:07

heheman3000

Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: 4k resolution scaling issues on linux guests (#17345)

Postby socratis » 5. Dec 2017, 02:03

Thank you for posting the ticket, and for referencing the discussion thread in the ticket. Added ticket information in the first post and the title.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 4k resolution scaling issues on linux guests (#17345)

Postby ziplock9000 » 12. Dec 2017, 08:19

I'm having the same issue. W10 Host, W7 client. I have a 4k display, 1080p, display and a 720p plasma. I usually have the scaling on my main monitor set to 150%.

Nothing works, changing scaling to 100% in W10, in the display options of the client, running it on the 1080p monitor.. Nothing works. I'm Getting 400% scaling of the client machine and 200% of the VirtualBox GUI
ziplock9000

Previous

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts