[Solved] Windows XP VM on Windows 10 host not connecting to Internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LifeMushroom

[Solved] Windows XP VM on Windows 10 host not connecting to Internet

Post by LifeMushroom »

I installed a Windows XP VM (the 30-day trial) on my Windows 10 computer, but I don't see an option to connect to Wireless Internet. The Wireless adapter simply isn't there in the Control Panel.

I've already installed the Intel drivers through a shared folder. My Network tab looks like: NAT, Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, and the Cable Connected box is checked.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows XP VM on Windows 10 host not connecting to Internet

Post by mpack »

VM means VIRTUAL Machine. The choice of which hardware it simulates has nothing to do with the actual hardware of your PC. VirtualBox VMs do not currently include a WiFi simulation, the simulation is always that of a wired NIC.

I suggest that you configure your VM for NAT networking and then forget it.
LifeMushroom

Post by LifeMushroom »

When I set up a Windows 10 VM, it allowed me to connect to the same WiFi network my host was on.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I just checked something. When I create a new XP VM the NIC type is "Intel Pro/1000 T Server". In older times the default was "PCnet-FAST III". How did yours end up being neither of these?

The default network card simulations are chosen because the selected guest OS has native support for that card. If you change the NIC type then you're on your own, and of course the network not working would be an expected outcome.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

LifeMushroom wrote:When I set up a Windows 10 VM, it allowed me to connect to the same WiFi network my host was on.
Not using any VirtualBox NIC it didn't. As I said, VirtualBox does not have a simulation of a WiFi port, so it can't possibly connect in its own right to a WiFi AP.
LifeMushroom

Post by LifeMushroom »

I'm importing IE6 - WinXP.ova, and it defaults to PCnet-FAST III. Accessing websites didn't work, so I looked it up and it said to set it to Intel and download the drivers.
mpack wrote:Not using any VirtualBox NIC it didn't. As I said, VirtualBox does not have a simulation of a WiFi port, so it can't possibly connect in its own right to a WiFi AP.
I'm using Windows 10, and have a Windows 10 VM as well. When I installed it, it allowed me to access websites...if you're not allowed to connect to the Internet then why are there so many people on YouTube pranking scammers with virtual machines?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Nobody said anything about not being able to connect to the Internet. I said that the VM doesn't include a WiFi simulation: I didn't say it needed one to connect to the Internet. The only reason WiFi is being discussed at all is because you raised it.

I don't consider it a good use of my time to review and explain YouTube videos.
LifeMushroom

Post by LifeMushroom »

You need WiFi in order to connect to the Internet, no? I just want to access the Internet.

I'll wait for someone nicer to hopefully respond then.

Works if you use defaults
Last edited by LifeMushroom on 24. May 2017, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

LifeMushroom wrote:You need WiFi in order to connect to the Internet, no?
No you don't. Absolutely not. What you need, is an understanding on how networks work. Start by reading Ch. 6. Virtual networking.
LifeMushroom wrote:I'll wait for someone nicer to hopefully respond then.
You're out of luck. mpack was really nice to you. I assigned you homework. Test is next week. Start reading and understanding... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I re-read the whole thread. Let me ask you this: to you "internet" means "coming from WiFi and I can access websites", right?

Well that's an over-simplification of the situation. If you open a command prompt in the guest and 1) you get a response when you do a "ping 8.8.8.8", and 2) you get a response when you do a "ping google.com", then you have Internet working.

Why you can't access websites per "a" definition of what internet is, that's a whole different issue. One that can be answered: Windows XP is too old. IE6 is too old. They do not work with today's websites. Try to search for a browser that might work with XP. Old Firefox, Chrome, Opera, PaleMoon, etc. Nothing really new...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LifeMushroom

Post by LifeMushroom »

Looked and someone else on here said to try another browser, Firefox works, it's good now.
socratis wrote:You're out of luck. mpack was really nice to you. I assigned you homework. Test is next week. Start reading and understanding...
lol so nice Xddd

Thread can be locked if you want
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Cool. But you still need to do your homework, it's going to come in handy... ;)
I'll mark the thread as [Solved].