Virtual box as mapserver in small windows network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
noindl

Virtual box as mapserver in small windows network

Post by noindl »

Hi, I am using VirtualBox on Win10 Enterprise and run a local map tile server (tileserver-gl - docker/kitematic), which works fine on the same machine where the VirtualBox resides. I cannot reach the map server from my other machines within the network because I cannot see VB. Can anyone assist me? If any charges, no problem.

Peter
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual box as mapserver in small windows network

Post by socratis »

In the VM preferences, what is the "Attached to" option? Here's a quick table overview of what you can do with the different options. You most probably need "Bridged" mode so that the VM shows as another computer on your network. For more details, read Ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes.
[pre]+-----------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+
| | VM <-> Host | VM1 <-> VM2 | VM -> Internet | VM <- Internet |
+-----------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+
| HostOnly | Yes | Yes | No | No |
| Internal | No | Yes | No | No |
| Bridged | Yes | Yes | Yes | Yes |
| NAT | No | No | Yes | Port forward |
| NATNet | No | Yes | Yes | Port forward |
+-----------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+[/pre]
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.