Can't boot VM, might be due to Device Guard

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Abba234

Can't boot VM, might be due to Device Guard

Post by Abba234 »

I was happily running Redhat Linux 64-bit in a Virutal Machine on my old laptop under Win7 64 Enterprise edition. Everything was working great. Then IT decided to force me to upgrade to Win10 and although I have a faster and more powerful laptop, I cannot boot my copied virtual machine on my new laptop. I get an error:

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I did some reading and yes, VT-x is enabled in the bios and I disabled HyperV service in Win 10. However, when I run msinfo32, I see the following at the bottom of the summary page:

Device Guard Virtualization based security Running
Device Guard Required Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection
Device Guard Available Security Properties Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection
Device Guard Security Services Configured Credential Guard
Device Guard Security Services Running Credential Guard
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.

Is that what is blocking my Virtual Machine? If so, what do I need to do to get my VM running?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Can't boot VM, might be due to Device Guard

Post by Martin »

Device Guard is using Hyper-V technology so that's what blocking VT-x.
Without VT-x you only can run 32-bit guests up tp Windows 7 and no newer Windows versions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Abba234 wrote:Is that what is blocking my Virtual Machine?
Yes, just like Martin explained.
Abba234 wrote: If so, what do I need to do to get my VM running?
Disable Device Guard. See: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/689 ... -10-a.html
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Abba234

Post by Abba234 »

Thanks for the link although I'm a bit puzzled because my Virtualization based security setting is set to Not Configured (default setting). I'm wondering if McAfee anti-virus is doing something.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sure, it could very well be the one. Please read through the FAQ I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests and get some ideas. What exactly it is, you'll have to figure it out for yourself I'm afraid.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nithya

Post by Nithya »

HI,
I am facing same issue now.Even after changing values in Local group policy as mentioned in the link it is not reflecting in system information.
Still Device guard virtualization based security is running.
Any help?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Nithya
These are the VirtualBox forums. Maybe you'd have better luck if you were asking the Windows forums on how to disable a Windows feature?