I'm unable to install on Windows 10 Pro 1703 build 15063.296

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Raymien

I'm unable to install on Windows 10 Pro 1703 build 15063.296

Post by Raymien »

Hello Gentlebeings,

I'm currently trying to install VirtualBox on my windows 10 machine, but I'm not having any success, I receive an installation failed error.
The full install log is available, if needed, but I believe that these are the pertinent lines:

Code: Select all

MSI (c) (F8:C0) [12:07:57:789]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 12:07:57: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (F8:C0) [12:07:57:791]: Doing action: VBoxFatalErrorDlg
Action start 12:07:57: VBoxFatalErrorDlg.
DEBUG: Error 2888:  Executing the TextStyle view failed
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2888. The arguments are: TextStyle, , 
DEBUG: Error 2888:  Executing the TextStyle view failed
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2888. The arguments are: TextStyle, , 
Action ended 12:07:58: VBoxFatalErrorDlg. Return value 2.
Action ended 12:07:58: INSTALL. Return value 3.
=== Logging stopped: Tuesday, May 23  12:07:58 ===
MSI (c) (F8:C0) [12:07:58:497]: Note: 1: 1708 
MSI (c) (F8:C0) [12:07:58:498]: Product: Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.1.22 -- Installation failed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: I'm unable to install on Windows 10 Pro 1703 build 15063.296

Post by socratis »

Follow the steps below. If there is a failure, please state exactly which step failed:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  4. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  5. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Raymien

Post by Raymien »

Thanks for the advice Socratis, but I think you missed the part where I mention that the installation fails, every time, so there is no VirtualBox on my machine.

As for downloading the matching ExtPack, not sure that would help at this stage, as it's not installing in the first place.

Steps I did follow for the install:
1. downlaod VirtualBox-5.1.22-115126-Win.exe and saved it to Downloads folder
2. copied this to a second location (D:\InstallFiles) as a safe backup and install location
3. ran this install file, no joy
2. renamed the files to "VirtualBox.exe" (maybe the numbers are confusing Windows 10? I doubt it, but why not try it anyway)
3. ran this install file, no joy
4. ran both install files with the -l logfile switch to get the info included above about "TextStyle view" failing

Both installs were tried as administrator without success.
I even downloaded older versions down to 5.1.16 without having any success, was going to try version 4, but thought I'd touch base here first.

Thanks again for your help.

Ray
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't misunderstand anything. I simply have this text for cases like yours. It usually doesn't fail. You didn't expect personalized service from the get-go, right? ;)

I will just repeat one thing, just to make 100% sure that you did what you're supposed to do:
socratis wrote:"Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator
Now, if that doesn't work, I'm afraid that you'll have to start looking at the Windows forums on corrupt Windows Installer issues. The VirtualBox installer is an MSI file that uses the standard Windows Installer. If it fails (usually due to low permissions, hence the advice about the Run-as-administrator) then you should start looking for Windows Installer issues. Especially the text about "TextStyle view" failing, that's clearly a sign of something not going right with your Windows installation... Custom themes, 3rd party addons, who knows? I certainly don't.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Raymien

Post by Raymien »

Hey there,

Thanks again Socratis. No, I didn't expect customized response, but I thought you may have believed that the install was successfull but the VBox wasn't loading.

As for "Run as Administrator" yeah, I tried it three ways from Sunday, lol, it was quite a pain in the butt. It's become quite the habit to run installs on my Windows machine as admin, regardless of my own user permission levels.

I'm not sure about a corrupt MSI though, it seems to carry along no matter the version of Vbox, but I'll keep trying to figure it out.