Remove ghost interfaces from list of interfaces

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Serge Fonville

Remove ghost interfaces from list of interfaces

Post by Serge Fonville »

I am currently trying to remove ghost intefaces from VirtualBox.

In the VirtualBox list of interfaces when I add a bridged interface, interfaces appear that no longer appear in Windows.

I verified if the interfaces exist in Windows in the following ways to no avail:
1. Check device manager
- Open device manager and display hidden devices
- No such device
2. Open device manager from an administrative command prompt
- set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
- devmgmt.msc
- display hidden devices
3. use devcon.exe from the WDK
- devcon.exe listclass net
- devcon.exe findall =net
4. Uninstall and reinstall VirtualBox using the installer.
5. disabling and enabling the interface filter
6. search the registry

None of these seemed to show the #2 interfaces.

I appreciate all the help in advance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Remove ghost interfaces from list of interfaces

Post by socratis »

I take it you've seen the TechNet article and also a couple of more articles in the webs, such as the one from "The Windows club", which also links to a free tool (Device Cleanup Tool) they offer. Disclaimer: I haven't tried it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, I did try the Device Cleanup Tool. Amazing!

<off_topic>
In fact I took a look at the author's other free offerings and I discovered another gem, UsbTreeView, a modified version of the USBView that's coming with the Microsoft Driver Developer's Kit (but only in source code). So nice, that I updated the USB Basics and troubleshooting articles to include that as well.
</off_topic>
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Serge Fonville

Post by Serge Fonville »

I tried the device cleanup tool, also to no avail.

Also, the network device in the list of bridgable interfaces, the #2 corresponds to the windows interface without #2
I verified the interface IP using VBoxManage.exe list bridgedifs.

So the interface that does not exist according to Windows, is associated to an interface that exists according to VirtualBox.

Perhaps if I knew what method VirtualBox uses to find these interfaces, I could clean--up its source.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You'd have to take a look at the source code for that: https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk
I would uninstall VirtualBox, clean up the system, devices, registry, etc. and re-install VirtualBox.
Serge Fonville

Post by Serge Fonville »

I uninstalled the driver of the network card and reinstalled it again and now windows thinks its #2 as well.