Executing .vhd on different VirtualBox PC

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DaveEar

Executing .vhd on different VirtualBox PC

Post by DaveEar »

Hello,
Few Days ago, every vm guest ( six ! ) with different S.O. ( XP, 7, Win10 ) start running with 100%cpu usage every time, After trying everything against the virus ( Guest and Host ) i supposed i had, but founding nothing. I Decide to test my vm on another pC.
STarting a vm on this .vhd this work well but only in modal mode.
Here are logs, I Know that's why different HW on guest, but I remove any Net Card and Audio specs, but still crash. Does anyone know what to do?
Thanks a lot.

However does anybody know if is it possible that virtualbox guest is damaged to run every vm on cpu 100% usage?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Executing .vhd on different VirtualBox PC

Post by socratis »

If you have a 3rd party antivirus, disable it.

BTW, you did not include any logs. If you do, pick one VM only, shut it down completely and then post the log.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DaveEar

Post by DaveEar »

thnaks for reply. Sorry my fault. I Was crazy.

Here is log attached , zipped because size limit
thanks
Attachments
VBox.zip
(50.23 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VBox.log wrote: 00:00:04.752326 Host RAM: 4008MB (3.9GB) total, 990MB available
00:00:05.456384 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000040000000 (1 073 741 824, 1 024 MB)
00:00:05.456673 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
You don't have enough RAM available on your host to dedicate 1024MB to a VM.

Plus 16MB graphics RAM is not enough for XP - there is probably a warning on the settings dialog (Invalid settings detected) telling you this.

You need to free up a lot of host RAM.

You still have the Guest Additions ISO mounted in the VM. This is bad practice.

And there's this: ...
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:05.456979 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
DaveEar

Post by DaveEar »

thanks!

So i have to change another pc with more free ram.

Anyway do you know why every vm on another pc ( 12GB ram ) from last week works with CPU100% ? for every kind of S.O. xp, 7. 10, I ran patch for any S.O. and a new Antivirus and Maleware..
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DaveEar wrote:why every vm on another pc ( 12GB ram ) from last week works with CPU100% ?
You have to see within the guest OS (via its Task Manager) which of the tasks is taking the CPU. Make sure that you "Show All Processes" and sort by CPU%.

PS. If you want to abbreviate a term in an English forum, use the proper abbreviation. OS=Operating system. SO=significant other ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DaveEar

Post by DaveEar »

Sorry for my English.

I Did it on task manager, but doesnt matter what is the process, because each process i run take the entire cpu space to bring it on 100%
But if i execute in "Safe mode " alway goes well and fast like ever ( I Use this vm s from years)
I look on drivers and everythings seems ok. The strange is the every VM have the some problem except the phisical machine, if is a virus phisical machine should have, but Avast and MalwareByte says it's ok. You have to think that launching Avast scan from boot is so slow that after 5days was on 4% !! Never see some like this
Could be something about virtualbox.exe? I Have 5.0.16 maybe I should upgrdate to last?

However I take a screenshot of error while starting, There 1,6Gb free.
Look at the screenShot
Attachments
VMStartig.zip
(124.09 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please stop talking about antivirus, when the problem is a crash. You're getting a Guru Meditation. You need to enable VT-x in the BIOS.
DaveEar

Post by DaveEar »

MANY MANY THANKS SOCRATIS !!
VM now start!, they are old copies because the current still use cpu100%, but that's another problem ...my problem...
Thanks again
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually mpack told you about that before I did. I simply made it the main ... focus ;)
Glad you got it going.
DaveEar

same VM on different PC goes different

Post by DaveEar »

Hello.
My personal machine ( I5 12Gb ram SSD 1TB ) has some VM ( XP, 7 , Win10) on I daily work on. from 2 week everything run very very slowly. I Supposed a virus, and try to analize CP..nothing appear. After 1 week experiments i decide to test the same VM on different PC ( I3 4GB HD 500) and incredibly the VM Goes well!??

What can be the differents?. Settings are the same.
On VM, every execution take 100%CPU, and obviously everything is slow...very slow ( I.E. building projects takes 40min instead 2min !!! )

Of course I Analize my phisical too, (AVAST, MBAM, MBAR ) but nothing discovered, but phisical machine run normally.

Please some one help me, i'm stopped with work and ideas....

Thankyou
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I merged your two topics. To me it's the same problem. And we already have the background information already here, no need to duplicate it.
DaveEar wrote:I Supposed a virus, and try to analize CP
I don't know what CP is, but I assume it means the guest. If an acronym is not widely used, it's better if you explain it first. Much more so if it is from another language.

As I already told you, the problem seems not to be a virus in the guest, the problem seems your hosts' antivirus and its aggressive scanning. Disable it, delete it, kill it. You do NOT need that many antivirus is your host, they conflict with each other and with normal, everyday operations. Stick with Microsoft's built-in antivirus and be happy.

If you still have a problem with a 100% CPU on the guest, look at the guest's Task Manager » Show all tasks » sort by CPU » see what's taking all the CPU. I need one and only one process, not general comments here. You need to be specific.

If we haven't solved it so far, I'll need to see logs from both hosts for the same VM. But we haven't reached that point yet.
DaveEar

CPU 100% on every VM

Post by DaveEar »

Hello, since two weeks ago every VM goes well on my PC (win 8.1 I5 12Gb SSD1TB), now every VM use 100%CPU for every exe i call, VM OS are XP,7, Win10 and every goes slow. I Installed Avast, MBAM, MBAR on VM and on Phisical PC but nothing found.

I copy VM on another pC ( I34Gb HD500) and every things run well....What could be happen?
Settings of the VM are the some on both phisical PC.

Pleas give me a help, i'm stopped for work and ideas

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@DaveEar
This is the 2nd duplicate in one day. There will not be a 3rd one or you're going to enjoy some vacation time. I replied to you twice and you did not even acknowledged the reply. We cannot be playing this game, all right?
DaveEar

Post by DaveEar »

SORRY. for duplicated.

You asked me the name of the process, but, process are each process I run...I.e. my batch project compile execute a Compiler ( DCC32.exe ) then a XCOPY, each takes 100% CPU.

Only to try explain, I tried to start avast check at boot, and after 5 days was at 4% analized!! Seems like CPU was slowly like a COMMODORE VIC 20...

Do you think log is still important? where can i take one? ( CTRL+L is OK ? ) What of these?

Thanks