Automatic usbattach on guest boot?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AnKe

Automatic usbattach on guest boot?

Post by AnKe »

Hi,

when booting a Linux guest on my Windows host, I'd like to attach right away an existing USB device via the (existing) desktop shortcut. Problem is that the startvm sub-command doesn't seem to take any additional arguments, whereas I don't want to separately run the controlvm sub-command for attaching the device. Is there any easy workaround with additional parameters to the startvm sub-command and / or by including this into the VBOX-file?

Thx,
Andreas
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Automatic usbattach on guest boot?

Post by socratis »

If the device is Idling (see USB basics and troubleshooting, #3: Device categories) then you can create a USB filter and have the device captured at the VM startup. See: USB basics and troubleshooting, #4: USB Filters.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AnKe

Re: Automatic usbattach on guest boot?

Post by AnKe »

The usb-device is already busy in Windows, thus I need to actively attach it to the guest and detach it on the host.

After all I guess the easiest way is to chain commands in the shortcut, i.e. something like "vboxmanage startvm <uuid> && vboxmanage controlvm <uuid> usbattach <deviceid>".