The instruction ... referenced memory at ... Crash.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pansk

The instruction ... referenced memory at ... Crash.

Post by pansk »

I have a similar problem.
When I start my Win7 VM I experience a crash:

---
The instruction at 0x00007FF85B6BA708 referenced memory at 0x0000000000003CB0. The memory could not be read.

Click OK to terminate the program
Click CANCEL to debug the program
---

After this, a "VirtualBox - Error" Window is displayed, with text: "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine win7." and details:
---
The VM session was aborted.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
SessionMachine
Interface:
ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}
---

The VM was perfectly working before this.
One note: I also updated Oracle VM Extensions.

Marco
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: The instruction ... referenced memory at ... Crash.

Post by socratis »

I split your post from Unable to start Win 7 VM after 5.1.22 Upgrade. Why exactly did you post in that thread? Did you see any warnings about a READ_ONLY media? (no, you didn't). Or you simply went by the title of the thread and you didn't even read the specifics? (my guess).

Was this a fresh installation of VirtualBox? Has VirtualBox ever run before on your computer? Please follow the steps below:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  4. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  5. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.