Mouse not working anymore

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Cool

Mouse not working anymore

Post by Cool »

Hello,
I have had Virtualbox for a few years, but not used it for awhile.
A few days ago trying to operate it failed, it would not load. I downloaded the latest version and installed it,
I have had a few glitches trying to open my different guest machines on my windows10 computer, but eventually managed to make it happen.
However, the mouse is not working on the guest. I tried making new guests as well of various types (i.e. windows7, Mac..) and in all of them
mouse is not working. When I click the mouse the cursor disappears and will only return when I push the Right CTRL key.
Mind you the keyboard is working, it's just the mouse isn't taking over the cursor of the guest machine.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks!!!
Last edited by Cool on 21. May 2017, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
Cool

Re: Mouse not working anymore

Post by Cool »

Since nobody can help here it seems to advice about a mouse not working in guest machine,
can anyone suggest a paid technical support service who could advice over the phone or online chat to resolve the virtualbox technical issue?
Vurtualbox seem to only support commercial companies
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It is not legal to run MacOS on non-Apple hardware. You cannot expect any help here or from VirtualBox.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BillG is absolutely right. But since you mentioned other guests as well, stick with another guest only.
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cool

Post by Cool »

-
Last edited by Cool on 20. May 2017, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Cool

Post by Cool »

ho... ok... Thank you
I attach the log file here. as I said any machine I try to log
the mouse is no longer working, although it used to work before.
I press the mouse, even while machine is just starting to load, and cursor is gone,
only way to get it back is when I hit the Right-Ctrl key.
Many thanks!
Attachments
test-2017-05-20-22-58-04.7z
(16.99 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Cool

Post by Cool »

Nobody knows how to resolve such a problem???
Why would a mouse not work on Virtual Box???
Cool

Post by Cool »

I am not even getting any of the messages about mouse functions I used to get at the top of the guest window
In the Guest I just got a message saying : THERE ISNT A MOUSE OR TRACKPAD CONNECTED
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Since vmdk is not the default for VirtualBox, is this a transport from another machine or perhaps a download from the Internet?
  • C:\Users\Eran\VirtualBox VMs\test\test.vmdk' is ntfs
Somehow the guest is not bootable. Perhaps it is corrupt.
  • 00:00:05.601621 VMMDev: Guest Log: No bootable medium found! System halted.
I don't normally do windows but the log indicates issues that are common to all profiles. I assume the guest simply has a black screen and nothing else?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I think that asking Win7-64bit to run in 512MB RAM, 27MB VRAM is somewhat questionable too.

But yes, my guess is that this is a VMware VM with the VMware tools still installed.

Plus the "no bootable medium found". That's a weird one - I don't see how this could ever have been a working VM. A different problem?
Cool

Post by Cool »

I am attaching another log. the previous log is from a test guest machine which was not booting, so was not a good example.
The point is all machines that I create of any kind as guests will not have a working mouse, from the first second I start the machines,
the cursor disappears if I click the mouse on the guest screen. I get the cursor back when I click R-CTRL
so the issue in not with the guests, it is with capturing the mouse from host properly. I tried a different mouse even, but nothing helps....
I can no longer use Virtualbox, as I cannot operate a mouse with the software.... :-(
Attachments
Mac-2017-05-22-00-04-35.7z
(18.81 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Hummm, So I wasted my time trying to track down the issue in a log that was never intended to show the issue, and then you post a log to a guest that is not supported? I think I will leave you to the Windows folks and return to my Linux ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Cool, you have already been warned not to talk about OS X guests.

FAQ: Mac OS X Guest on a Windows Host.

Locking this topic.