Bypassing Windows 98 SE compliance check

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Dingy

Bypassing Windows 98 SE compliance check

Post by Dingy »

Hi all,

So the deal is, I've dug up an old copy of windows 98 SE and it seems to be an upgrade disc. I've been able to get the installation up and running in VirtualBox, although I'm stuck on how to bypass the compliance check. Obviously Ill need some kind of proof that I have windows 98 in a drive, or is there another way ... hmm
Research has been done, and I just can't seem to find anyway of doing so.. :? I've searched several forums (including this one) and could not dig up anything.
If anyone has any clue on how or what is needed, or simply can tell me it's impossible I'd probably cry a bit (from joy/sorrow).

I've attached a file of where I'm up to just to prove I'm partially sane.

Cheers!
Attachments
Windows 98se.JPG
Windows 98se.JPG (88.88 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bypassing Windows 98 SE compliance check

Post by mpack »

You can't bypass the compliance check if you want to use that installer. The only way to avoid it would be to image a system where it has already been installed.

To pass the compliance check normally you'd have to install the older "qualifying product" first. Check the instructions, but I assume that would be Win95 or Win98 (not SE).
Dingy

Post by Dingy »

Hmm that's a bummer..
I've seen a few ISO files floating around on the net, mainly on the winworld webpage. I was thinking about downloading a full OEM windows 98 iso and just trying to run that.
But yeah I get with the upgrade it has to recognise some information regarding the previous 98 or 95 OS, I just don't know how do upgrade it while running it in VB.
If I had an ancient PC I could just copy an 98 iso off the net into the HDD and then install the SE upgrade, would that work? .. I donno :?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you intend to use shady downloads then please don't discuss that here.
Dingy

Post by Dingy »

Oh sorry.. no I was just noting them. I've actually brought my copy of Windows 98 SE a while back. I guess Ill just have to hunt for a genuine copy of windows 98, or can you get a full version of 98 SE which isn't an upgrade?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

There are non-upgrade Win9x versions. However I think those are almost always OEM versions, which may or may not complicate things.

Basically the thinking back then was that a new Win9x license would be sold with a new PC, so Microsoft didn't sell "full" Win9x versions but rather licensed them to OEMs. Microsoft did however sell upgrade versions, since OEMs had no channel to sell upgrades (and Microsoft didn't need them anyway).

Is your upgrade CD actually bootable? Normally you'd have to get the install going from DOS or an existing Windows version, which sort of took care of the pre-existing OS requirement.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

michaln wrote:Is your upgrade CD actually bootable?
Judging from the dialog pictured, it looks like this installer must be bootable, since it offers a fallback if the hard disk is empty (new, say) - you can type the path to the installer CD of the older "qualifying product". So presumably this dialog comes after Win98SE setup files have been copied to the hard drive.
Dingy

Post by Dingy »

Yeah I'm 100% the disk I have is an upgrade. From ether 95 or 98, this disk upgrades the OS to Win98se. In the original packaging there was only the disk, no bootable floppy. I did find an old floppy and created an iso and it seemed to work and boot the disk. Not sure if it's a bootable disk tho, I've looked around and some people say all 98se are bootable and others say not.. But, what is the actual why I can get past that screen in VB? Do you think it's possible with only the upgrade 98se disk?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Some Windows 98 CDs are bootable, some are not. Typically OEM CDs are bootable, upgrade and MSDN CDs are not.

It's normal that an upgrade CD wasn't bootable because it assumed the existence of a previous OS. I really don't know if it's possible to convince the upgrade to install if you have no other version. You may have better luck asking on some Windows-specific forum, after all this has nothing to do with virtualization.