virtualbox error in suplibosinit 3738; found evil handle to budding VM process

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
yaolanlan

virtualbox error in suplibosinit 3738; found evil handle to budding VM process

Post by yaolanlan »

Now, i met a error when starting the VirtualBox on Windows.

virtualbox error in suplibosinit 3738
Integrity error : found evil handle to budding VM process
the detail information please see attached file

so i reinstall the VirtualBox with version,but still got the same question.

how to handle this problem?

Thank you
Attachments
QQ截图20170518104425.jpg
QQ截图20170518104425.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 5781 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtualbox error in suplibosinit 3738; found evil handle to budding VM process

Post by socratis »

Check and/or fix the permissions in your Windows and your ProgramFiles directory. VirtualBox has strict requirements and you can't have (for example) "Everyone" have Read-Write access to these directories. Read the last sentence of the error message.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sonicmoller

Re: virtualbox error in suplibosinit 3738; found evil handle to budding VM process

Post by sonicmoller »

Exactly same problem here. I tried uninstall/install many times but didn't work. Need some help. :(

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Advice to the problem was given at the post right above yours. It did not involve installing/re-installing, did it? It involved fixing the permissions. Even if you re-install with the wrong permissions, the wrong permissions are going to be there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
finity

Post by finity »

I suddenly have the exact same error popping up.
I've used this VM many times and now when I try to start it I get the referenced error.
I checked the permissions on my windows folder and my programs folder and neither have "everyone" permissions set.
I don't know what the permissions are supposed to be to know if they are wrong.
The only thing that I know has changed is that windows just installed the Fall Creators Update.
I have turned off my AV software and still have the same error.
Tried reinstalling (according to the instructions in the error window) but still the same error.
Any other suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

finity wrote:The only thing that I know has changed is that windows just installed the Fall Creators Update.
Re-install VirtualBox. You're going to have to do it with every Win10 major update. You can "thank" Microsoft for that... Try running the installer with right-click, "Run-As-Administrator", even if you are the administrator.
lost_in_space
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by lost_in_space »

Hi,
I just have the same issue on my Win7 machine - Regarding this evil handle issue .. I appreciate its a permission issue. However can someone clarify if I should only allow myself (i.e. I have admin rights )

At the moment my Oracle folder has the following Properties :

Everyone : Allow , Read and Ex, List folder, Read
SYSTEM : Allow , Everything
Administrator : Allow , Everything
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

At the present moment, Oracle Virtualbox works when the permissions of the folders are allowed to remain what the Windows overlords decided they should be. If permissions were modified, then all bets are off.

Here are my permissions, default from Windows:
oracle folder permissions.png
oracle folder permissions.png (63.04 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
As a possible suggestion, uninstall the Extension Pack from Virtualbox, (you will need to right-click open Virtualbox as admin to do this) then uninstall Virtualbox altogether. Your guests and configuration files will remain for re-use. Then check that the Oracle folder was deleted, and delete it if necessary. Then re-install Virtualbox by right-clicking the installer and run as Administrator even if you already are an administrator.
lost_in_space

Post by lost_in_space »

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Here is what I have done so far on my Win7 machine.

I have never got vbox6 (or 5) working on this laptop - I completely uninstalled vbox6 again - Deleted the Oracle Dir.

This laptop have one other user - He had Admin rights as well. I removed him from the laptop -

Then I reinstalled Vbox6 (right click run as admin)

When trying to start the VM from the manager .. after a few seconds I get the same error again.

I wanted to upload the VBoxHardening.log - but as it was 238kb - to big, so I had to zip it up. I would appreciate if you could have a look and see if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

lost_in_space, I have just noticed that this thread has been hijacked multiple times, forum rules require:
Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully.

Please start a new thread with your hardening log posted, and we'll deal with your specific issue there.
lost_in_space

Post by lost_in_space »

ah ... ok ok .. will do ...Sorry about that. I was posting under the same post as the problem is the same. No problem, will start a new thread