konboot test

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bobifr

konboot test

Post by bobifr »

Hi everybody,

Sorry if the question has already been asked. I would like to test konboot on a machine in 8.1, but I can not find the procedure
to run a livecd before the operating system. Is possible ? How? thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: konboot test

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bobifr

Post by bobifr »

I think you have not fully understood. Konboot is a livecd that launches at the same time as windows to retrieve its password. On a physical machine you must insert a usb key with konboot and put it first in the boot order in the bios. Then I installed windows on virtualbox, now I have to start konboot before windows, that's the one I bloc
Last edited by bobifr on 17. May 2017, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

bobifr wrote:Konboot is a livecd
bobifr wrote:you must insert a usb key with konboot
So, which is it? Is it a LiveCD or a USB device? For the LiveCD, read the links that I gave you (you read them already, right?). For the USB key it's a little bit more convoluted, I'd rather not go there if that's not the case.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

On a physical machine you must insert a usb key with konboot and put it first in the boot order in the bios.
Then do equal on your VM.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Are you sure you don't want to go for the LiveCD option? The boot from USB is a really recent addition, requires EFI, rawdisk access and a USB controller in the VM (in theory, I haven't test it).