Unable to change setting in Virtualbox - OK button disabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
991 GT3RS

Unable to change setting in Virtualbox - OK button disabled

Post by 991 GT3RS »

Hello Everyone,

I am hosting my Virtual box in AWS cloud Windows 2012 R2 Server.
I am trying to launch a PeopeSoft .ova image in the server.

The virtualbox version I am using is Virtualbox - 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2).

I was able to import the .ova file successfully. However when I start the machine, I receive the below error (In my other machines I am normally able to navigate to the Settings option and change the network settings to the adapter available in the machine).

I have included the snapshot in the attachment. AWS_1 attachment.

However if I try to navigate to ChangeNetworkSettings option, I am unable to click the OK button after I change the adapter to the one available in the host machine. See AWS_2 attachment.

As you can see I am unable to change the settings and cannot start the machine.

Can someone help or point me in the correct direction.
Many thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Arun
Attachments
OK Remains disabled after changing setting
OK Remains disabled after changing setting
AWS_3.png (76.99 KiB) Viewed 31081 times
AWS_2.png
AWS_2.png (74.89 KiB) Viewed 31081 times
Virtual box OK Button disabled
Virtual box OK Button disabled
AWS_1.png (104.41 KiB) Viewed 31081 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to change setting in Virtualbox - OK button disabled

Post by mpack »

What does it tell you if you click on the "Invalid settings detected" icon?

If it's simply that it cannot connect to the selected interface, then shut VirtualBox down, and make sure that the VirtualBox Bridged Networking client is enabled in the list of services attached to the selected host network card.
991 GT3RS

Post by 991 GT3RS »

Hello mpack,

Thank you for your response. The invalid settings is for the memory allocated to the Virtual box.
Your suggestion worked. I had to reduce the memory allocated to the Virtual box.

After I did that the ok Button in the virtual box was enabled.

Thank you for the help.
Thanks,
Arun
aenriquez

Post by aenriquez »

Hi

I have the same case, but .....

The OK button Hardware acceleration is not enabled in the system section.

The error that the configuration of the machine has is related to the fact that hardware acceleration is enabled and asks to disable it in the System section.

When I go to the system section and, although I disable hardware acceleration, the ok button is not enabled causing changes not to be saved and consequently the error is not removed

Will there be any tips to resolve this issue?

PD.- The virtual box installation is in a new laptop with 12 GB of RAM

Thank you !

Now the screens with the error
Attachments
Error
Error
Anotación 2020-01-09 173628.png (40.37 KiB) Viewed 28975 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

When the error message is not in English, please transcribe it into text so we can put the message through a translating website. I have a hint of Spanish, yo tengo tres anos de Español en mi escuela, pero solament tres dias en mi cabeza. :lol:

It appears that your physical PC does not have the Virtualization Technology turned on (VT-x, AMD-V, SVM). Consult your PC's manual and help forums for how to turn this on.
aenriquez

Post by aenriquez »

Hi and thank's

That's right, in the same way, I have 10 years "studying" for my own English, but it seems that I only have 3 months in my head :-D

I will review the topic you suggest me and confirm

Thanks a lot !
aenriquez

Post by aenriquez »

Hi Scottcott1

Thank you

I did what you suggested and the issue was resolved

Greetings from Mexico for you.
KarmaKrew

Post by KarmaKrew »

scottgus1 wrote:When the error message is not in English, please transcribe it into text so we can put the message through a translating website. I have a hint of Spanish, yo tengo tres anos de Español en mi escuela, pero solament tres dias en mi cabeza. :lol:

It appears that your physical PC does not have the Virtualization Technology turned on (VT-x, AMD-V, SVM). Consult your PC's manual and help forums for how to turn this on.
Hey Scott,

I have the same problem where I need to turn on Hardware Virtualization in my BIOS for VirtualBox to run any of my VMs but alas, I cannot get to my BIOS.

When I go to turn on my PC no matter how hard I try, since Win10 has faster processing speeds and I am unable to get into the BIOS. Furthermore, when I try and go to the UEFI Firmware button on the Recovery restart that I accessed from Settings>Update&Security>Recovery, there is none! My motherboard apparently does not support it. How do I get into the BIOS? The one time I did see some screen it said HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPUTER SETUP, and when I tried to navigate it, it would not do anything. I spam-pressed F10 and that just brought up the faulty computer setup screen, and when I spam-pressed Escape it did nothing. I have attempted this around 20 times now, what can I do?
Attachments
Basically the same thing but in English.
Basically the same thing but in English.
Screenshot_121.png (18.87 KiB) Viewed 19728 times
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is a Hewlett Packard question, not a VirtualBox one. Have you done an online search for the specs of the CPU in your PC? Most recent PCs have the option and have it enabled, but some manufacturers still disable it on laptops.

If your processor does not support VT-x/AMD-V, your only option is to drop back to VirtualBox 6.0 or earlier. 6.1 requires this. If your CPU supports hardware virtualization but it is not available, check online for how to enable it in the BIOS. If it is enabled, but VirtualBox cannot see it, check this post. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62339
Bill
WINTHROM

Post by WINTHROM »

I have same problem with VB 6.1 (Unable to change setting in Virtualbox - OK button disabled) on Kubuntu 20.04 in a Dell Inspiron 1545 desktop. The Intel T4300 CPU has no VT-x but the Dell Bios (14 upgraded per Dell instructions for this PC from 11) will turn VT-x on/off if present. If not present, the option is hidden in the BIOS pages and I cannot "turn it on/off". VirtualBox insists that I turn it on when trying to run WIN-XP 32 bit. This client O/S worked fine on Kubuntu 18.04 (same PC) VB 5.x and never asked for the VT-x. In Settings I can click off the "enable nested paging" box for H/W Virtualization and "none" for type paravirtualization, but cannot get the OK to light up. Seems VB 6.1 is reading the BIOS. I can install a newer CPU that has VT-x ($8.00) but really do not want to risk damage to hardware. I do not want to try and reinstall an old BIOS (if I can even find it at Dell).

The BIOS is read by VB but the CPU (and built in features) is ignored. Can I use a line command (Linux) option of VirtualBoxVM --startvm WINXP to solve this?
Attachments
This is the complaint I get.
This is the complaint I get.
VIRTUALBOX-SCREEN.jpg (104.43 KiB) Viewed 13672 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox 6.1 REQUIRES VT-x or AMD-v. There is no exemption for 32bit VMs.
WINTHROM

Post by WINTHROM »

The Dell Inspiron 1545 CPU (Intel T4300) does not have VT-x.

The Dell BIOS will activate VT-x IF PRESENT, otherwise it will not mention it when editing preferences in the BIOS. This problem occurred when I updated the BIOS (per Dell instruction for this specific machine) to the latest version (2009) i.e., a BIOS that would support a variety of Intel CPUs in the CPU socket of this machine. Some of the supported CPUs do have VT-x, but the T4300 does not. VirtualBox/VirtualBox-extensions does not look at the BIOS as presented to the user. Instead it looks at the BIOS as seen at boot execution time, which has a switch for VT-x that is (since not present) - is off. That switch is then hidden from the user because the running factory installed CPU does not have the property. I have software for 32 bit WIN-XP that did run on VirtualBox 5.x. I upgraded VirtualBox to 6.1 and the BIOS at the same time. Since VirtualBox is complaining, the software is clearly not checking the actual CPU for this VT-x capability. I am not adverse to upgrading hardware, but a CPU is a major upgrade to this machine with very little upside other than satisfying an erroneous flag about missing hardware as a user error.

Do you suggest I buy a new machine, or fiddle with a replacement CPU, because VirtualBox no longer supports non VT-x computers. Or. Alternately, do you suggest I re-install a deficient BIOS to assuage the inadequacies of VirtualBox software.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't suggest that you do any of those things. I presented you with the facts. What you do with those facts is up to you.

Also note that this is a user self help forum: none of us is in a position to change the facts nor in reality do we have any stake in your decisions.

I'm going to lock this four year old topic, since it's has just turned into a "me too" forum for anyone with vaguely similar problems.