Cant type in my virtualbox machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
slenerim

Cant type in my virtualbox machine

Post by slenerim »

well i'm connected to my windows server through my local PC and within that server, i'm trying
to create a virtual machine, but i can't type anything, only if i keep holding 'AltGR' key,
currently i need to set a password for my windows OS and i can't because i won't meet the requirements
and need to use symbols, and while holding 'Alt GR' i can only use small caps letters.

is there a way to fix this? also for some reason my 'E' is switched with 'Z'
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: Cant type in my virtualbox machine

Post by erdeslawe »

Sounds like a problem with the language settings that need to be sorted out.
slenerim

Post by slenerim »

erdeslawe wrote:Sounds like a problem with the language settings that need to be sorted out.
i actually changed the language from french to english because my server OS was in french
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

slenerim wrote: i actually changed the language from french to english because my server OS was in french
But you are presumably using a Keyboard with a layout that does not match the language selection and need to examine the layout differences, which will show why your problems are arising and which keys need to be substituted. Or use an on-screen keyboard or a physical keyboard which matches the selected language.
slenerim

Post by slenerim »

is there a way to match the virtualbox keyboard with my server?
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

There is no such thing as a VirtualBox Keyboard and your 'problem' is nothing to do with VirtualBox. It's all down to the Operating System you are using, i.e. Windows.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

slenerim wrote:i'm connected to my windows server through my local PC and within that server, i'm trying to create a virtual machine
What is the meaning of "connecting to the server from the local PC" ? Are you using an RDP server? Can you take one or two variables out of the equation? Or switch to US keyboard until you figure out who's problem it it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Puz

Post by Puz »

Have you checked what your hostkey is mapped to? I had the same problem and my host-key was mapped to right-alt... remapped it to right windows and now Alt gr works as expected.