NAT - Port forwarding not working totally

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Nicolas1985

NAT - Port forwarding not working totally

Post by Nicolas1985 »

Hi,

I have a PC on Windows Server 2012 with Tomcat 6.0 installed on it (with a page web on port 8080)
I also have VirtualBox installed with VM running Ubuntu 16 (used for Owncloud)
Network configuration is "NAT" with port forwarding on ports 80 and 443.

While port 443 is working, port 80 fails to forward request to the VM. Thus, my owncloud works, but I configured virtual host to rewrite address with secure address

Do you know what on Windows may create bad interactions ? How can I configure it ?

Thank you
Nicolas
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NAT - Port forwarding not working totally

Post by socratis »

1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: NAT - Port forwarding not working totally

Post by scottgus1 »

One thought: I think Windows Server OS's have their own built-in website you can enable, which runs on the usual port 80. Windows Server also doesn't usually come with Tomcat, I don't think. So you'd have a custom system running on your host server OS.

Now, traffic coming into your NAT-connected guest has to go through your host's NIC, via your host's LAN IP address. I'm surmising that the port-80 traffic you have set Virtualbox to forward into your guest may be contacting some Windows Server filter before it gets to Virtualbox's filter, and the port 80 traffic is being sent to the host OS website system, which may be receiving it unused even if it is shut off. The bits may be spraying around inside your tower from some unconnected virtual wire... :)