Vbox wont open

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NoName123

Vbox wont open

Post by NoName123 »

Let me start by saying that vBox already worked perfectly, i messed it up a bit and i will explain what i did.
I clicked on the disable/enable button of Atheros UB91C, from one of the small icons at the bottom right of the vBox (i had kali Linux installed).
After that, my mouse cursor disappeared but still worked( i could see highlighted stuff on the desktop), the keyboard did not react as well, i tried ALT+f4, i tried ALT+Tab to just close it but nothing reacted. my mouse at that point also stopped working so i was basically stuck without an option to close or do anything. i had to restart from the physical button. When the PC went back up, vBox did not work anymore. I tried to click on it and i see the process on task manager, yet the vbox interface doesn't show. What i tried so far -

Reinstall and install
restore previous windows build
pretty much tried a lot of small things to see if it works such as disabling and uninstalling Atheros UB91C device (since this caused it?)

I dont know what to do anymore and hope to find some solutions here.
Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Vbox wont open

Post by socratis »

This doesn't sound like a simple problem. Please start by doing a thorough examination of your hard disk. Check the Event Viewer for any error messages, disk related or VirtualBox related.

Follow the steps below:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show.
  5. Go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jirara

Post by Jirara »

I am also seeing this problem, though I had not made any changes to VB since using it a few weeks ago. It just magically no longer works. I have tried the steps listed, but VB will not even open directly from the install. I did notice an error in Event viewer, "The protocol handler OneIndex16 cannot be loaded. Error Description: (HRESULT: 0x800700c1)" from the windows search service. It occurs every time I try to launch VB on my machine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jirara wrote: I had not made any changes to VB since using it a few weeks ago. It just magically no longer works.
"Magic" isn't a word that goes nice with software ;) You didn't change your VirtualBox, but what about your system? What about your other programs? What about your antivirus?
Jirara wrote:OneIndex16
If you search for it, that's the search indexer from Microsoft's OneNote. I don't think it may be related, unless you were using some sort of weird setup with shared network folders.

So, you repeated the uninstall/reboot/install cycle and nothing? Try to open an administrator Command Prompt (right click, Run-as-administrator) and issue the command:
  • sfc /scannow
Report any errors. If any...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jirara

Post by Jirara »

Haha, so it isn't. It feels like magic sometimes, though. In this case, I last opened VB to finish a project around April 22nd. Since that time, the only changes to the computer have been automatic updates, since I was away on vacation. Trying to open VB today and find it not working came as a bit of a shock.

I did try turning off my antivirus, but that didn't seem to do anything. I also ran the system scan and came up with no integrity violations. I tried the uninstall/reboot/install a second time, but it still will not run. I could try removing the existing images in case they are the problem? Does that sound reasonable?

I don't see any other errors in the error log.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jirara wrote:I could try removing the existing images in case they are the problem? Does that sound reasonable?
No. Removing your MP3s won't make iTunes suddenly work. Automatic updates are problematic. And there's no known cure so far.
NoName123

Post by NoName123 »

UPDATE:
i dont know how, but every time i put my pc to sleep and then wakes it up, the VB works.
so, problem solved, thanks everyone.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I've seen a report or two previously, claiming exactly that scenario. *I* can't figure out anything that would cause VirtualBox to start working after the host goes to sleep. It's not like the subsystems are getting reset. Are they? I'll leave it to the Windows gurus...