What ELSE conflicts with VirtualBox on Windows 10?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
davhunter

What ELSE conflicts with VirtualBox on Windows 10?

Post by davhunter »

I've installed VirtualBox on a Windows 10 host, with a 64-bit processor and the correct virtualization BIOS settings enabled, and I do not have Hyper-V installed. I have disabled DeviceGuard/CredentialGuard, and I've installed VirtualBox as Administrator. Still, however, I can't create 64-bit VMs, and the Acceleration tab is greyed out.

How can I troubleshoot what else might be conflicting with VirtualBox, preventing it from taking advantage of the CPU's virtualization capabilities? Every post I've ever seen on this topic talks about disabling Hyper-v, but what if Hyper-v isn't the culprit -- what else might it be, and how do I find out?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: What ELSE conflicts with VirtualBox on Windows 10?

Post by socratis »

There's no known recipe to find what's using Hyper-V VT-x exclusively, only guidance. Debuggers, antivirus, emulators, etc. You got to go through each and every suspect in your programs to know for sure.

EDIT: Fixed "Hyper-V" to "VT-x" after BillG's comment.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

@socratis, I think you meant to say hardware virtualization, not Hyper-V.

@davhunter, I think you did as well. What you are talking about is what prevents VirtualBox from accessing hardware virtualization. That is what is blocked, not VirtualBox.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BillG wrote:@socratis, I think you meant to say hardware virtualization, not Hyper-V.
Correct in the broader sense. Fixed in the post, thanks BillG.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davhunter

Post by davhunter »

It took quite a while, but I finally managed to remove the VT-x hog; in my case, even though Hyper-V wasn't running, Device Guard and Credential Guard were. Removing them removed the conflict, allowing VirtualBox to use the CPU's VT-x capabilities.

For those who are having similar problems, Microsoft provides a PowerShell tool for readying a system to install DG and CG, which can also be used to remove them. Googling "Device Guard and Credential Guard hardware readiness tool" will help you find it.