VirtualBox (5.1.22) and Vagrant (1.9.4): E_FAIL (0x80004005) and VBoxHardening ExitCode=0xc0000005

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cglasgow

VirtualBox (5.1.22) and Vagrant (1.9.4): E_FAIL (0x80004005) and VBoxHardening ExitCode=0xc0000005

Post by cglasgow »

Hello all,

I am currently experiencing an issue with either Vagrant or VirtualBox and was curious if you could assist me in solving this problem. I am running VirtualBox 5.1.22 (latest) and vagrant 1.9.4 (latest) on Windows 10 x64. I am attempting to quickly deploy a preconfigured Vagrant box with a batch script (to easily share amongst my network), however I keep receiving an error.
VirtualBox E-FAIL.PNG
VirtualBox E-FAIL.PNG (21.46 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Batch file I am using to automate vagrant (setup.bat). Located inside folder with mybox.box (preconfigured Vagrant box):

Code: Select all

vagrant destroy --force
vagrant box remove mybox --force
vagrant box add mybox mybox.box --force
vagrant up
echo "finished!"
pause
After running this script, I am given this Vagrant output:

Code: Select all

==> box: Box file was not detected as metadata. Adding it directly...
==> box: Adding box 'dl-elk' (v0) for provider:
    box: Unpacking necessary files from: file://C:/mybox.box
    box: Progress: 100% (Rate: 704M/s, Estimated time remaining: --:--:--)
==> box: Successfully added box 'mybox' (v0) for 'virtualbox'!
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Importing base box 'mybox'...
==> default: Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
==> default: Setting the name of the VM: mybox
==> default: Using hostname "mybox" as node name for Chef...
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
==> default: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration...
    default: Adapter 1: nat
    default: Adapter 2: bridged
==> default: Forwarding ports...
    default: 22 (guest) => 2222 (host) (adapter 1)
==> default: Running 'pre-boot' VM customizations...
==> default: Booting VM...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.
Command: ["startvm", "c0d0b043-2bf4-4574-84b9-37507a0b14b9", "--type", "headless"]
Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: The virtual machine 'dl-elk' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005).  More details may be available in 'C:\...\VBoxHardening.log'
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
At this point, the box has been added to VirtualBox’s UI, however it will not start from their either. When attempting to run the new VM from within VirtualBox’s UI, I get the error E_FAIL (0x80004005) VirtualBox mentions there is a log file with information inside. I attached that file as well in hopes you could help me decipher it. I found the error ExitCode=0xc0000005 in VBoxHardening.log after reading through this forum post (add h to the start and org after virtualbox. to get the link to work)(ttps://forums.virtualbox./viewtopic.php?f=25&t=82106).
VBoxHardening.log
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
The forum post states:

”Error Symptom 2: Error code 0xC0000005
Error 0xC0000005 is what's known as an general protection fault or memory access error: the application tried to access an invalid memory address or jump to code which doesn't exist. Hence this is most likely a consequence of RULE2: a bad
DLL got unloaded, but some other DLL is still trying to use it. You can often narrow the cause if you look at which DLL faulted. Quite often you find that the bad memory access came from a graphics related DLL, which implies that the
graphics provider omitted to sign one of their DLLs. You should check for updates for your graphics card drivers.

1 If you find that the VM will not start in normal mode, but will start when run in headless mode, then that makes it pretty much certain that your problem is the graphics drivers.”

I updated the graphics driver with no luck. They mention: ”You can often narrow the cause if you look at which DLL faulted.” I do not know how I would go about narrowing down the problem further from this point but it appears to be a DLL issue. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vagrantfile:
Vagrantfile.txt
(930 Bytes) Downloaded 24 times
Thank you in advance,

cglasgow
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox (5.1.22) and Vagrant (1.9.4): E_FAIL (0x80004005) and VBoxHardening ExitCode=0xc00000

Post by socratis »

Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own vagrant support channels.

Having said that, you have Cylance Protect on your system, which is known to cause trouble. Either add an exception for VirtualBox, disable it or uninstall it, in that order. See what happens.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cglasgow

Re: VirtualBox (5.1.22) and Vagrant (1.9.4): E_FAIL (0x80004005) and VBoxHardening ExitCode=0xc00000

Post by cglasgow »

Socratis,

Thank you very much, uninstalling Cylance Protect fixed the issue. Would you like me to remove this post because it doesnt follow the rules?

Colton
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, deleting posts is not desirable. You don't know who's going to be searching for what.
Plus, you broke no rules whatsoever.
Glad you got it going...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
yansen

Re: VirtualBox (5.1.22) E_FAIL (0x80004005) and VBoxHardening ExitCode=0x1

Post by yansen »

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu.

The virtual machine 'ubuntu' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\users\VirtualBox VMs\ubuntu\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

thanks you for your help
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(13.38 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please read the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.

I couldn't easily detect what might be failing in your case...