Unable to start Win 7 VM after 5.1.22 Upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BMI

Unable to start Win 7 VM after 5.1.22 Upgrade

Post by BMI »

Dear Experts,
Good day,
Iam unable to boot my Win 7 VM after 5.1.22 upgrade. Im running Virtualbox on Win10 64bit machine. Below error and attached logs. Please advise what could be reason for this error.
thank you in advance!

VD: error VERR_UNRESOLVED_ERROR opening image file 'D:\VMs\Win7\Win7.vdi' (VERR_UNRESOLVED_ERROR).
Failed to open image 'D:\VMs\Win7\Win7.vdi' in read-write mode (VERR_UNRESOLVED_ERROR).
AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port1 (VERR_UNRESOLVED_ERROR).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Attachments
VBox.log
(34.49 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to start Win 7 VM after 5.1.22 Upgrade

Post by socratis »

00:00:13.094665 VMSetError: Failed to open image 'D:\VMs\Win7\Win7.vdi' in read-write mode
What is drive D:\ and most importantly, do you have read-write access to that file? The answer is no according to VirtualBox. Make sure that D:\ is not read-only.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BMI

Post by BMI »

Hi Experts,

yes i have full read-write to D partition and to the vdi file and i still face this issue... any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BMI wrote:i still face this issue
You still have the same problem.

I'm asking the questions again: What is D:\? Internal, external? NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, exFAT, other? Did you check the permissions for the whole path (each and every directory)? How? Who's the owner of that file? What are the permissions?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BMI

Post by BMI »

Hi socratis,
D:\ is an internal NTFS drive
iam the owner with full permissions on that drive..

thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Did you check the permissions for the whole path (each and every directory)?
If that doesn't work, take a look at "TakeOwnership" (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... -in-vista/).
w9smith

Post by w9smith »

I had the same issue with my Win7 VM and Linux VM not starting after upgrading to VMBOX 5.1. Only my XP VM started. Here is the solution that worked for me.

--------------------------------
VM error I was getting:
The device helper structure version has changed.

If you have upgraded VirtualBox recently, please make sure you have terminated all VMs and upgraded any extension packs. If this error persists, try re-installing VirtualBox. (VERR_PDM_DEVHLPR3_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
--------------------------------
On each VM that fails with Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005), make this change
Settings, USB, select USB1.1
VM will now start normally
Be sure to install the new Guest Additions

My host
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, ver 1703, 64 bit
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model OptiPlex 3010
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
VMBOX ver: 5.1 (VM worked before upgrade to this version, but not after the upgrade. Until I made the settings change above.)

Hope this helps others.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@w9smith
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, you were facing a different error (VERR_PDM_DEVHLPR3_VERSION_MISMATCH), which you correctly identified as a Version Mismatch between the main VirtualBox program and the installed Extension Pack.

However the people in this thread were facing a different error (Failed to open the disk in read-write mode). Of course both of them would result in VirtualBox failing to start the VM ;)